Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Using VS2005's builtin test web server for a real project?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Can anybody point me to a guide, howto or whatever that will show me how I could use the development server built into VS2005 in a deployed project?

I want to develop a small app that is self contained including the web server it runs on.  It's does nothave to handle 1000's of hits a day, probably less than a 100, so I'm sure the test server I use to develop the app on is sufficient.

I had heard the web server was originally based on a project called Cassini?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Another_Darren wrote:
    Can anybody point me to a guide, howto or whatever that will show me how I could use the development server built into VS2005 in a deployed project?

I want to develop a small app that is self contained including the web server it runs on.  It's does nothave to handle 1000's of hits a day, probably less than a 100, so I'm sure the test server I use to develop the app on is sufficient.

I had heard the web server was originally based on a project called Cassini?

You'll need to have the machine log in because the BWS doesn't run as a service - this probably isn't a good idea, but if you insist.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Rossj wrote:

You'll need to have the machine log in because the BWS doesn't run as a service - this probably isn't a good idea, but if you insist.

The machine will auto logon as a restricted user account automatically so running it in the tray won't be an issue.

Two issues I can see reading that is...

Firstly it's an compiled app so I can't change it to remove the "Stop" button so user cannot shut it down.

Secondly, article states "Remember that this is a single user Web server. No one outside of the local computer can access the Web server because theoretically, it doesn't exist; it's virtual. This means that you can't perform some types of testing using the built-in Web server. The feature that makes it so secure also prevents you from performing some kinds of real world testing." and I was need to query the machine remotely, thus the point of using a web server.

What I'm trying to do is to allow central users to run reports/queries on remote machines.  I can build the app in ASP.NET but need a basic web server to execute the app in, the remote machines are Windows 2000 Pro and we don't want have a full blown IIS server to maintain and patch in each remote site.

• User profile image
    blowdart

You should look at the source for Cassini, because as part of the framework install you get the asp.net hosting framework, so you can roll your own.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

blowdart wrote:
    You should look at the source for Cassini, because as part of the framework install you get the asp.net hosting framework, so you can roll your own.

Thanks. I've also found a link to the official project page now.  Looks like you can compile as a service if you build the wrapper yourself.

• User profile image
    figuerres

as I recall you can "self host" asp.net w/o casii* with .net 2.0

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/AspxProtocol.asp

one example.

• User profile image
    Grumpy

Another_Darren wrote:

blowdart wrote:You should look at the source for Cassini, because as part of the framework install you get the asp.net hosting framework, so you can roll your own.

Thanks. I've also found a link to the official project page now.  Looks like you can compile as a service if you build the wrapper yourself.

Why build the service wrapper when someone has already done this and you get a merge module to include in your project?

See http://www.ultidev.com/download/default.aspx

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Grumpy wrote:

Another_Darren wrote:
    blowdart wrote:You should look at the source for Cassini, because as part of the framework install you get the asp.net hosting framework, so you can roll your own.

Why build the service wrapper when someone has already done this and you get a merge module to include in your project?

See http://www.ultidev.com/download/default.aspx

Wow, thanks Grumpy!  Exactly what I wanted, and I can host multiple apps with this server.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.