Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Address book not updated

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    I have a number of AD users with Exchange mailboxes so I can keep my "real" email accounts separate, they're all opened as additional mailboxes in Outlook (anyone know a better way?)

    So anyway, I changed the primary SMTP email address field for one of the Users, yet the change isn't reflected in the address book. When Itry to send mail from this user I get an NDR: "            You do not have permission to send to this recipient.  For assistance, contact your system administrator.
                MSEXCH:MSExchangeIS:/DC=willow:SERVER"

    What am I doing wrong?

  • User profile image
    tribalcactus

    Define "changed".  What did you change?  The userid portion, or the domain portion, or both?  Assuming 2000 or 2003, the primary SMTP address is defined via Recipient Policy and set/enforced by the Recipient Update Service.

    Also, which address book is the change not reflected in?  Are you using Outlook 2003?  In cached mode?  If so, OL2003 cached mode uses the Offline Address List by default, which, by default, is only rebuilt by Exchange once per day.  To get the change immediately, you have to perform a rebuild of the Default Offline Address List, and then tell Outlook to re-download it (Send/Receive, Download Address List).

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    tribalcactus wrote:
    To get the change immediately, you have to perform a rebuild of the Default Offline Address List, and then tell Outlook to re-download it (Send/Receive, Download Address List).


    Thanks, that's done it Smiley

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    W3bbo wrote:
    Thanks, that's done it Smiley


    Update:

    Well, it's done it for the Outlook client installed on the Exchange box, but no matter what I do on the other clients it doesn't update. When I disable "Use Cached Exchange Mode" it works fine and correctly shows the updated Global Address List, but even after deleting the entire contents of %username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ and disabling/enabling Cached Exchange Mode it still shows the old addresses.

    Argh!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.