Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.net 1.1 and 2.0 compatibility Issue

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    manojT

Hi,

I have the Managed exe with few dlls, I run this application through the JSP. It run Like as follows for .net 1.1 framework : 

Scenario Before Installing .Net Framework 2.0

Application Invoked through JSP, which download all the exe and its dependencies from the server to Local Client at following path "C:\Documents and Settings\profile\Local Settings\Application Data\assembly\dl3"
    and then the application start working and run Smoothly....Smiley

Scenario After Installing .Net Framework 2.0

I have Installed .Net framework 2.0 and then UnInstalled the .net Framework 1.1 now it behaves Strangely
    Application Invoked through JSP, which does not download exe and throws an Ieexec.exe FileNotFound Exception.

Few TryOut :

Created a Virtual directory In IIs and given the Link to execute the file in one htm, and when tried to run through the IE, it worked.

ANYBODY Knows why this Strange Behaviour with my application........................

Later,
    Manoj Talreja

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

manojT wrote:

Scenario After Installing .Net Framework 2.0

I have Installed .Net framework 2.0 and then UnInstalled the .net Framework 1.1 now it behaves Strangely
    Application Invoked through JSP, which does not download exe and throws an Ieexec.exe FileNotFound Exception.

120 people have viewed, but noone answered ?

I'm not a .NET developer, but a quick search on FileNotFound Exception leads me to believe that the problem is that an assembly is missing.

So can I ask, why did you uninstall .NET 1.1 AFTER you installed .NET 2.0 ?

I mean, I believe that the .NET 2.0 install checks for 1.1, beforehand, and installs it, if it's not.

• User profile image
    Rossj

RichardRudek wrote:

..a quick search on FileNotFound Exception leads me to believe that the problem is that an assembly is missing. ...

And now you know why no-one answered Smiley   Most people only glance at posts in this forum and see if it is something they understand.  If it is typically an exception, I'd guess they assume that Google would have been a quicker way to get an answer ...

• User profile image
    manojT

Man, I post it because I could not find a solution for this exception.

• User profile image
    Rossj

It isn't clear whether ieexec is throwing the exception, or something else is throwing the exception and complaining that it can't find ieexec.ece

but

Maybe it is still looking for ieexec.exe in \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 instead of in  \windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727 - what version is the app that you are downloading?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I think nobody answered as the problem is hard to reproduce and the description of the error isn't that good. I mean I don't understand how I could reproduce the problem... Have no JSP here.

• User profile image
    cheong

Actually, I have no experience on this. Just search on the web revealed there's no solution for this with the keywords "click once ieexec v2.0".

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=93820

However, you can consider the "workarounds" suggested on that page.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

I'm wondering why .NET 1.1 was uninstalled. Should just keep it on, you never know if there are dependencies.

• User profile image
    cheong

No. If you'd read the link I provided, the .NET team decided to "turn it off" for security reason. (i.e.: they intentionally break it)

So it's not the .NET v1.1 is uninstalled, instead, this particular feature is disabled and things like "C# applets" that requires IEEXEC.EXE are no longer allowed.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.