Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mobile web page development

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Hello, all great niners !!!

I need HELP !!!

on development of the mobile web page (simple, only  two questions and each followed by 4 radio buttons for the customer's answer). When the moblile user has finished the selecting the proper choice and clicks the "Finish' button, I have to collect those choice answered by him and store it in the MSSQL/MySQL any database and create the report on how many people for this questions has answered WHAT?

So i need to know how to start with it and how is the mobile client/server architecture to be taken under considerition and how to develop and deploy this solution. The target mobile is not a specific one,
    If that mobile has an internet facility if it can access internet, then that mobile user must/can see the page and get his feedback.

Hope to receive all your valuable feedback on this question of mine, suggestions, ideas, help, advice.... any i will be happy to see.

Thank You.
    With Regards,
    Raghavendra Mudugal

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Anyone here can help on this matter. Nobody as done any development on mobile web pages, viewing in all browsers (stuff like that)? :O

Atleast can some one shed some light here? Please...

• User profile image
    Gidion2k4

Take a look at ASP.net mobile controls (used to be the Mob Internet Toolkit).

If you are targeting any internet enabled phone with some sort of wap browser then that would probably be the easiest way to go.

It's like ASP.net programming, just that the pages get rendered properly to the phone's capability.

(If you are going for Windows Mobile phones only, you might check out the compact framework.)

HTH

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Raghavendra_Mudugal wrote:
    Hello, all great niners !!!

I need HELP !!!

on development of the mobile web page (simple, only  two questions and each followed by 4 radio buttons for the customer's answer). When the moblile user has finished the selecting the proper choice and clicks the "Finish' button, I have to collect those choice answered by him and store it in the MSSQL/MySQL any database and create the report on how many people for this questions has answered WHAT?

So i need to know how to start with it and how is the mobile client/server architecture to be taken under considerition and how to develop and deploy this solution. The target mobile is not a specific one,
    If that mobile has an internet facility if it can access internet, then that mobile user must/can see the page and get his feedback.

Hope to receive all your valuable feedback on this question of mine, suggestions, ideas, help, advice.... any i will be happy to see.

I've done a little bit of mobile development in ASP.NET, I'm not happy with how it differentiates between "rich" and "mobile" UAs when as far as the actual (X)HTML/CSS/HTTP specifications are concerned they're all the same.

So basically: develop it as if it were a normal ASP.NET application, but maintain full control over the generated markup, ensure you comply with the XHTML/CSS specifications to the spirit (and not just the letter) and design handheld-compatible stylesheets.

Then it's simply a matter of changing the stylesheet to a "screen" sheet and you can use it on a desktop with no other changes.

I wouldn't go near System.Web.UI.MobileControls without a hazmat suit on.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

W3bbo wrote:
    So basically: develop it as if it were a normal ASP.NET application,

W3bbo,

Have a doubt:

I have created, a mobile web page (project) with 2 questions to make the choice of the answer( radio buttons) and finally a submit button to insert into database.

Say, now I have some 15 questions, and I am inputing the answer, meantime I receive a call, and I talk more than 6 minutes and call ends, and I get back to my inputing where I left before call. Now I have to got the 8th question....

Here, the session had expired, and it throws an error, So I have to refresh the page, Its loads newly, with my answered to those 7 questions lost. So I have to feed them all, again.

So let me know your say on this.

Is .net mobile development technology is really good to use for bi-directional communication (db to mobile and mobile to db), or it is good for showing the static results (like requet the page, see it and close).

Please let me know on this matter. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Say, now I have some 15 questions, and I am inputing the answer, meantime I receive a call, and I talk more than 6 minutes and call ends, and I get back to my inputing where I left before call. Now I have to got the 8th question....

Here, the session had expired, and it throws an error, So I have to refresh the page, Its loads newly, with my answered to those 7 questions lost. So I have to feed them all, again.

That's an issue with your phone's client WWW software, they should act the same as on a desktop PC. But unfortunately, it's issues like these that need to be taken into account.

So let me know your say on this.

Okay, what I meant by "develop as if it were a regular ASP.NET app" was use the underlying technologies the same, but obviously change your user-interface design (the "higher level" of design, not your actual ASPX markup) to suit the main target platform. Perhaps, in this case, by paging questionaire questions into groups.

Is .net mobile development technology is really good to use for bi-directional communication (db to mobile and mobile to db), or it is good for showing the static results (like requet the page, see it and close).

It's good for both, it's just how it's implemented that counts.

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Okay, W3bbo, thanks for the reply. I will look still deeper on my doubts, and if any, will bother you. Smiley

thank you, once again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.