Tech Off Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can I rename the ProcessName of a program

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cybercockro​ach

    Dear Sir
         Can I assign any ProcessName to my program. for ex. my program is A.exe, Is there any way to rename it to B.exe in task manager list?

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    cybercockroach wrote:
    Dear Sir
         Can I assign any ProcessName to my program. for ex. my program is A.exe, Is there any way to rename it to B.exe in task manager list?


    Sounds like a security hole waiting to happen to me, so I am guessing (because I don't know off the top of my head) that the answer will be no.

  • User profile image
    KevinB

    Do you mean whilst the app is running? Or just generally. Because if you rename the executable then that will obviously give you a different process name the next time you start, I don't think there is any way to do this whilst your app is running.

    Kevin

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    Rossj wrote:
    
    cybercockroach wrote: Dear Sir
         Can I assign any ProcessName to my program. for ex. my program is A.exe, Is there any way to rename it to B.exe in task manager list?


    Sounds like a security hole waiting to happen to me, so I am guessing (because I don't know off the top of my head) that the answer will be no.


    Agreed!

  • User profile image
    TimP

    Rootkit Revealer does it, but it's also not a managed app.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Why would you do this? Why not just rename the executable?

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    AndyC wrote:
    Why would you do this? Why not just rename the executable?


    To hide the fact that your dodgy Virus is called IAmGonnaKillYourMachine.exe by making it look like OUTLOOK.EXE

    I can't see any other reason for it.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Rossj wrote:
    
    AndyC wrote:Why would you do this? Why not just rename the executable?


    To hide the fact that your dodgy Virus is called IAmGonnaKillYourMachine.exe by making it look like OUTLOOK.EXE

    I can't see any other reason for it.


    Or svchost.exe


  • User profile image
    cheong

    While looking at those process names, I thought it's funny to have "System Idle Process" consume memory... Tongue Out

    Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Rossj wrote:
    
    To hide the fact that your dodgy Virus is called IAmGonnaKillYourMachine.exe by making it look like OUTLOOK.EXE


    Well there is that one yes, but I was trying to figure out if there might be any conceivable reasons to want to do this legitimately as I can't think of any either.

    Best I could think of was to give your process a more friendly name in Task Manager (since XP doesn't have Vista's description column) but renaming the executable seems a better way to do that.

  • User profile image
    cybercockro​ach

    I want to do this because I have to run the same program at the same time(may be ten times) with different arugement. and I only have the same name in task manager with different pid. I dont know which process run with which arugement. So I would like my process named as my ProcessName+arugement in task manager. thanks for your reply^^ and sorry for my poor english

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    cybercockroach wrote:
    I want to do this because I have to run the same program at the same time(may be ten times) with different arugement. and I only have the same name in task manager with different pid. I dont know which process run with which arugement. So I would like my process named as my ProcessName+arugement in task manager. thanks for your reply^^


    I would guess that is a fair use then..

     
    cybercockroach wrote:
    and sorry for my poor english


    Don't apologise, you speak English better than most of us could speak your first language I bet Smiley

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    cybercockroach wrote:
    I want to do this because I have to run the same program at the same time(may be ten times) with different arugement. and I only have the same name in task manager with different pid. I dont know which process run with which arugement. So I would like my process named as my ProcessName+arugement in task manager. thanks for your reply^^ and sorry for my poor english


    You could add the argument to the about window... But you should keep in mind what you are showing there: security reasons.

  • User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

    Vista allows you to see the full command line of the process as a column in Task Manager.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    Vista allows you to see the full command line of the process as a column in Task Manager.


    Nice! I know that the Vista Task Manager has a few great improvements.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.