Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Compact Framework projects in VS2005

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I started a Compact Framework project in VS2005 using the PPC2003 SDK since WM5.0 doesn't come with VS2005 (whhhy?!)

So anyway, I just installed the WM5.0 SDK and the WM5.0 Device Emulators aren't listed. Whilst I can upgrade the project to a WM5.0 one, how can I ensure it'll still work with previous versions of PPC?

Also, why the heck does WM5.0 use a 2-button softkey bar when dozens of programs use more than 2? They'd have some use if it was say... the smartphone platform (where their use it put to good effect) but it isn't, I feel it's a worse UI done only for marketing.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

If you develop applications with the .NET Framework 2.0, you can't run them on a .NET 1.1 installation. Similarly, if you develop apps with the CF 2.0, you won't be able to run them on CF 1.0. About the UI: WM5 is meant to be a fusion of PocketPC and SmartPhone, and the UI has been unified. The philosophy of the 2 buttons is: the left button should be the most logical command to use at the moment, the right button is usually a menu with other commands. In my Calctor Mobile application (see Sandbox), the left button toggles between the commands 'Evaluate' and 'Edit'.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

TommyCarlier wrote:
    If you develop applications with the .NET Framework 2.0, you can't run them on a .NET 1.1 installation. Similarly, if you develop apps with the CF 2.0, you won't be able to run them on CF 1.0.

What I meant was, can I develop a WM5.0 application (with the 1.0 targeting option) and be sure it'll run on PPC2002/2003's CF implementations?

...since the text says:

"A project for creating a .NET Compact Framework 1.0 class library (.dll) for Windows Mobile 5.0 PocketPC and later"

Also, where's the Windows Mobile Smartphone option?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I did this project in VS2005 and it's for WM5.0:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=188395

It's possible, you need just to download a few packages.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

If you want to do Smartphone development, you need the WM5 Smartphone SDK. It's separate from the PocketPC SDK.

The "two soft button" thing is extremely useful for stylus-free navigation. Many WM5 devices (the Axim X51v not being one of them) have two actual buttons that map to the two menu items. Even without the real button on X51v, it's real easy to hit the soft buttons with your thumb and then use the directional buttons to navigate the menus.

WM5 design guidelines say you should have a single action under the left button, and a menu under the right button. Old style apps that have more than two top level menus get the old style menu bar.

A CF app developed with a WM5 project should work fine on a WM2003 device. You can test it manually by creating a cab file for your application, downloading that to the WM2003 emulator and then seeing if it works.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.