Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

STOP Errors during W2k3 Server Install

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

I've been trying to install Windows Server 2k3 Enterprise Edition 64 bit on a system here, an Intel Pentium D with x64 extensions, in a Shuttle barebones PC (SB36G50).  (Not exactly the world's most server class machine, I know...)

Anyhow, I'm getting two STOP errors during the install.  0x0024 and I just now got a 0x007E.  The 7E seems to be a video card problem.

I researched the 24 Stop error (combined with a specific part of the enormous other hex numbers that is reported) and found that there is a bug in NTFS code that causes a problem with the hard drive.  (0x0024 says that I should run chkdsk and is typically a HD issue).  Indeed, when Win2000 boots on the same machine, it automatically runs the chkdsk.

There is a hot fix, but
    A) WinServer 2k3 isn't installed all the way yet, so I can't install the hotfix to an OS that isn't installed yet (but I suspect that the ntfs.sys or whatever can be extracted from the MSI file easily)
    B) The hotfix is only available through contacting them directly (bleeegh)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910311/en-us

I also tried looking for the list of supported motherboards and stuff like that, but I guess that the more stringent list of supported hardware for WinServer 2k3 was dropped.  So I guess it ought to work on this shuttle...

Edit: Well, I remembered back to my issues I had with Vista installation on this box, so I cranked the fan up and either the box was overheating again, or I got lucky and the install finished.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Heh, yeah something is screwy.

I just plugged a typical USB flash drive in and hit my favorite key combo [Winkey] + [E], and *BOOM* a stop error about NTFS.sys.

More importantly, though, the oboard Intel networking thing isn't being recognized and the drivers I tried downloading don't do anything.  I can't get it onto the network at all... dang.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

DoomBringer wrote:

I just plugged a typical USB flash drive in and hit my favorite key combo [Winkey] + [E], and *BOOM* a stop error about NTFS.sys.

More importantly, though, the oboard Intel networking thing isn't being recognized and the drivers I tried downloading don't do anything.  I can't get it onto the network at all... dang.

Flash key's don't even use NTFS, as a rule.  That's weird.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

The Specs on that product lists the Power Supply as being (only) 250 Watt. What sort of graphics (display) card have you got in it ?

Basically, I think you've got a power problem. Without knowing the power output for each of the voltage rails (not in the specs I've read), it's hard to be specific. But assuming that Shuttle aren't idiots, the basic motherboard stuff should be fine. As there isn't a lot of room in the casing for things like the hard disks, etc, that then leaves the graphics card.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

RichardRudek wrote:
    The Specs on that product lists the Power Supply as being (only) 250 Watt. What sort of graphics (display) card have you got in it ?

Basically, I think you've got a power problem. Without knowing the power output for each of the voltage rails (not in the specs I've read), it's hard to be specific. But assuming that Shuttle aren't idiots, the basic motherboard stuff should be fine. As there isn't a lot of room in the casing for things like the hard disks, etc, that then leaves the graphics card.

Onboard graphics.  Nothing fancy at all.
    I've worried about the powersupply myself, but I can boot into Win2k and do all my work in there.  I've even pegged the CPU out to the max on one core and it was stable.  So I think the PSU is working hard, but not overtaxed.

I've managed to install WinServer 2k3, but now the issues are unrecognized devices.  I've got an unrecognized ethernet controller, and the onboard audio isn't being recognized.  I tried installing the driver for the onboard ethernet thing (both from CD and from the latest drivers from Shuttle's site) and it hasn't fixed it. 

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

DoomBringer wrote: 

Flash key's don't even use NTFS, as a rule.  That's weird.

I think opening Windows Explorer killed it.  The flash drive works fine now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.