Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Looking for suggestions what Power Toys to build

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    JKelley

Hi everyone, I posted over on my blog and wanted to make sure that I got the word out here as well.  I'm currently looking for submissions of ideas for Power Toys for the Developer Solutions team to build. 

The details of exactly what I'm looking for are over on the blog, so if you're interested in making suggestions about tools that would make VS 2005 easier to work with, head on over!

Thanks 9'ers!

-Jeremy

• User profile image
    W3bbo

...your job description is to develop small programs that sound nifty?

Where do I sign up? Big Smile

So anyway:

A little PowerToy that lets you quickly change the build order would be snazzy, like executing a preprocessor before csc would be useful (even if it goes directly against what C# stands for *cough*)

Ohhh, and an "Enable/Disable VS module" feature would be useful too. For instance, I've got Visual J# installed, but never use it. I could do with Disabling it until I really need it.

• User profile image
    JKelley

That's not the WHOLE job, but that's kind of part of it.  Smiley 

And if you're really interested check this out...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jledgard/archive/2006/09/22/theigloo.aspx

Unfortunately for our non-U.S. 9'ers, I'm almost positive you have to be willing to relocate to Redmond.  Which isn't a bad thing.  I'm certainly enjoying living here.

Oh, and even if you don't want to read about the jobs, watch the video Josh put together.  I'm the one in the video who makes the Death Star comment...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JKelley wrote:
    That's not the WHOLE job, but that's kind of part of it.  Smiley 

And if you're really interested check this out...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jledgard/archive/2006/09/22/theigloo.aspx

Unfortunately for our non-U.S. 9'ers, I'm almost positive you have to be willing to relocate to Redmond.  Which isn't a bad thing.  I'm certainly enjoying living here.

I'm planning on getting my degree, and (hopefully and eventually) getting a doctorate and spending the rest of my days at MSR Cambridge.

...high ambitions for something 7 years away Smiley

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

I'm going to guess its probably not possible from a "Power Toy" perspective or even that this may simply be out of scope but:

I would love to be able to change VS2005's tabbed document handling to be like all other tabbed applications (i.e. vs2003, IE7, FireFox, Excel, etc). That is to say that I would prefer new tabs to open to the right hand side of all the current tabs INSTEAD of to the far left of all current tabs.

I know I could have mentioned this on Connect, but as its been a topic opened many times before and immediatly closed as "by design" I would like to ask that I be given the choice to have an environment that operates "in the manner I expect" based on most other tabbed environments including the previous version of the same tool (VS2003).

The current behavior is not quite natural as it creates a) a new shifted tab order(all tabs are now 1 tab to the right of their previous location) b) an environment that that sends me searching for tabbed documents when I have a need to have several open.

I find myself often chasing after the object browser (which I happen to like to have quick access to) as it keeps moving around. With a significant number of tabs open I lose it all together and have to look in that silly "active files" drop down to find it.

Like I said this may be outside your scope but It's probably the one thing that drives me crazy every 5 mins in VS2005 and makes for a less productive me. I'm quite sure im not alone in this endevour to ask for a change. A power toy would be nice tho as it would allow those who love the new way to keep it and those who hate....errr LOATH... the new behavior to see it "fixed".

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ang3lFir3 wrote:
    I'm going to guess its probably not possible from a "Power Toy" perspective or even that this may simply be out of scope but:

I would love to be able to change VS2005's tabbed document handling to be like all other tabbed applications (i.e. vs2003, IE7, FireFox, Excel, etc). That is to say that I would prefer new tabs to open to the right hand side of all the current tabs INSTEAD of to the far left of all current tabs.

I concurr.

VS2005's tab strip also has a few repainting bugs and some of the controls don't feel as responsive.

Finally, the tabs need to be bigger and more clearly defined methinks, like VS2003's nice square ones. Rounded corners do nothing for usability.

• User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

I would love to see a XML document instance maker along the same lines as the Biztalk project uses in VS.

Just right click on a schema and say generate instance. It would create a text xml that is fully formed with dummy data in it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.