Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Programming .Net to use USB device?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

Ok, this is a where to start. I'm toying with the idea of creating a little electronics project, with LEDs, that would be controled using the computer and a USB cable. I've seen things like this done with the older serial connection. VS 2005 exposes a serial port control. I haven't dug to deep yet, but was wondering where to start. What would I need and what would I look for.

I would bread-board the project first of course. I don't think I would have on-board memory, but have the device tethered through USB for functionality.

BTW, what is the maximum length for USB cables? Where can I find some specs for the USB standard.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Check out the August 2006 issue of Circuit Cellar magazine. Great introduction to building USB devices. In short, your usb device will need two main compenents: a usb interface chip and a microcontroller. In the article the author uses a Maxim usb transceiver with a SPI interace to the microcontroller.

When in doubt, there's always www.usb.org for complete specs for the usb standard.

• User profile image
    TadejK

I haven't really used this, but it might work (for the software part of the project, of course:))- http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpUSBLib/default.aspx.

Regards,
    Tadej

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Ive built a simple  USB interface library based on the SharpUSB code.

add me to MSN if you like and I can send some code over and help you out.

leedale8850@hotmail.com

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.