Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Connecting to Emulator

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    Hello, Recently I have downloaded the PPC with running WM5.0 Emulator. And I have developed, a mobile web app in the C#. I want to see that page in that emulator. I tried by tying the URL of the page in that ie browser and it says, that cannot connect with present settings. How to connect into that emulator and see that mobile web page? and what settings need to be configured? HOW? Please help me.

  • User profile image
    RichardRudek

    Do you have ActiveSync installed, and setup to use DMA ?

  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    RichardRudek wrote:
    Do you have ActiveSync installed, and setup to use DMA ?

    Actually, I have not, and i have not configured to use DMA. But i dont need this. Because, I need to connect to the development system where the emulator is running and see that mobile web page from there to ppc ie browser. You mean, by downloading that ActiveSync and installing it, can i see that mobile web page in ppc-ie? Please help.

  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal


    RichardRudek wrote:

    Do you have ActiveSync installed, and setup to use DMA ?


    Actually, I have not, and i have not configured to use DMA. But i dont need this. Because, I need to connect to the development system where the emulator is running and see that mobile web page from there to ppc ie browser. You mean, by downloading that ActiveSync and installing it, can i see that mobile web page in ppc-ie? Please help.

  • User profile image
    RichardRudek

    Raghavendra_Mudugal wrote:
    

    Actually, I have not, and i have not configured to use DMA. But i dont need this. Because, I need to connect to the development system where the emulator is running and see that mobile web page from there to ppc ie browser. You mean, by downloading that ActiveSync and installing it, can i see that mobile web page in ppc-ie? Please help.


    Maybe I don't understand exactly what your trying do. But for me, I sometimes need to test websites using the Device Emulator. That is, using  Mobile Internet Explorer, running on the Emulator. To do that, I needed to gain access to my LAN, which requires me to install ActiveSync 4.x.

    With ActiveSync installed, I then need to configure ActiveSync to use DMA, so it can connect with the Device Emulator. Then, to "Cradle" the Device Emulator, I have to open Device Emulator Manager (Visual Studio, Tools, Device Emulator Manager), find the running device, right-click, cradle.  This should then awaken ActiveSync.

    Note that sometimes, I have to force ActiveSync to search the Emulator, thus configuring a profile for the device. However, I prefer not to, if I can avoid it - ie it automatically detects the (virtual) cradling.

  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    RichardRudek wrote:
    
    Raghavendra_Mudugal wrote: 

    Actually, I have not, and i have not configured to use DMA. But i dont need this. Because, I need to connect to the development system where the emulator is running and see that mobile web page from there to ppc ie browser. You mean, by downloading that ActiveSync and installing it, can i see that mobile web page in ppc-ie? Please help.


    Maybe I don't understand exactly what your trying do. But for me, I sometimes need to test websites using the Device Emulator. That is, using  Mobile Internet Explorer, running on the Emulator. To do that, I needed to gain access to my LAN, which requires me to install ActiveSync 4.x.

    With ActiveSync installed, I then need to configure ActiveSync to use DMA, so it can connect with the Device Emulator. Then, to "Cradle" the Device Emulator, I have to open Device Emulator Manager (Visual Studio, Tools, Device Emulator Manager), find the running device, right-click, cradle.  This should then awaken ActiveSync.

    Note that sometimes, I have to force ActiveSync to search the Emulator, thus configuring a profile for the device. However, I prefer not to, if I can avoid it - ie it automatically detects the (virtual) cradling.


    please check this link
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&DisplayLang=en

    By downloading this, can i achive? Even i went through the link which you have sent before.

    What am i doing is...

    I have developed a mobile web page which takes two user inputs and stores in the DB (MS-SQL2K) for reference. Its all working in the
    emulator which is supplied with VS.NET2003, I connected to the device Pocket PC 2003 and opened IE there and typed in the URL,
    so i am able to see that page in ppc-ie.

    Now I have to configure this complete work in another machine
    where i dont have VS.net2003 running. So I downloaded this emulotor with Microsoft device manager. I loaded the PPC emulator
    and opened the IE browser and I typed in the URL (as i did in that ppc2003 emulator) and it tells, "cannot connect to the present settings".

    This also happened in the PPC2003 emulator which shipped with vs.net2003, after changing the setting and selected, use work settings while seeing from IE. So the page is displayed without any problem. I did this same thing in PPC with WM5.0  (which i have downloaded newly standalone). But still it says, cannot connect to the present settings.

    So I kept both emulotors side by side and went one looking what it would be?

    Finally, one suspect i got was that network adapter
    PPC2003 Emu: AsyncMac1 NDISWAN Adapter
    PPC WM5.0 Emu: AsyncMac NDISWAN Miniport

    And all there setting are same. So i got completly confused, how this ActiveSync will help in solving this.

    Hope now it is bit cleas for you. Please HELP on this matter.

  • User profile image
    RichardRudek

    I am not an expert, and I am not familar with the stuff you've installed on the non-dev system, so I don't know specifically what your problem is. At this point, all I can do is point you at the blog that I used, which I found by searching, and luckily, saved/bookmarked...

    As for the Network interfaces, I believe eariler versions of the emulator used them, but the newer emulators can instead use the ActiveSync v4.x DMA method - that's certainly what I use.

    I also believe there's a Virtual Network card for the new emulators (netsvwrap.msi) which I downloaded, at that time. But I didn't need to install it.


  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

    RichardRudek wrote:
    I am not an expert, and I am not familar with the stuff you've installed on the non-dev system, so I don't know specifically what your problem is. At this point, all I can do is point you at the blog that I used, which I found by searching, and luckily, saved/bookmarked...

    As for the Network interfaces, I believe eariler versions of the emulator used them, but the newer emulators can instead use the ActiveSync v4.x DMA method - that's certainly what I use.

    I also believe there's a Virtual Network card for the new emulators (netsvwrap.msi) which I downloaded, at that time. But I didn't need to install it.




    Richard, thanks a lot, for that your idea worked. Finally i ended with downloading ActiveSync 4.2 and its working successfully. Now in the emulator i can see the internet and intranet mobile web pages both. Thank you o much for your help, the link what you gave was really a good resource for people like us.

    Thank you once again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.