Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How To Write More Than 800MB (say 3.5GB) On A Single 800MB CD ?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Hello guys,

I have came across a CD which looked perfectly normal till I selected all files and viewed its size. It was whooping 3.5GB !!! There was no compression as the cd was working with DOS perfectly. It was not even a new cd format as my dumb old computer could read it. I have heard that it is some HD Technology and to write such cds one needs a special HD cd writer. But, I am still confused as if the format needs special cd writers then how could my 48X CD-ROM could even read it ?

So please, if you know what it is exactly it is then tell me.

Thanks

• User profile image
    Maurits

A 3.5GB CD working with DOS?  Not likely... surely the 2GB partition limit would rear its ugly head...
    Something's off here.  Maybe it's really a DVD?

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Maurits wrote:
    A 3.5GB CD working with DOS?  Not likely... surely the 2GB partition limit would rear its ugly head...
    Something's off here.  Maybe it's really a DVD?

No man... This CD is really a normal CD. I took its image and copied on to a CDRW of mine and its works even on DOS. Each and every file in it can be read/copied from DOS. Thats the reason I am posting this here.

• User profile image
    Manip

MS Dos or CMD/Command.com (Did you use 'Dos' from within Windows)

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Actually I tried both from windows 2000 CMD as well as from a windows 95 start up disk. I used a Win 95 start up disk to boot the pc. Even then I could browse the CD. So I think this stuff is some thing really different.

• User profile image
    gabe76

yeah i've seen those - usually they are the 3 in 1 or the 4 in 1 OS cds from MS/MSDN. the CDs that have like win2000 pro and win2000 server and win2000 adv server all on one cd. i thought it was odd too, it must be some kind or recursive routine that re-reads a root directectoty into a few other directories making the content appear to be in each folder. is this cd from microsoft?, is it a multiOS cd?

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

gabe76 wrote:
    yeah i've seen those - usually they are the 3 in 1 or the 4 in 1 OS cds from MS/MSDN. the CDs that have like win2000 pro and win2000 server and win2000 adv server all on one cd. i thought it was odd too, it must be some kind or recursive routine that re-reads a root directectoty into a few other directories making the content appear to be in each folder. is this cd from microsoft?, is it a multiOS cd?

Noop...its not from microsoft. But contains 10 different Windows versions.

I have too seen CD from microsoft with windows 2003 Enterprise, Server & professional together in a single CD. But, will MS sell 3 OS in a single CD?

• User profile image
    qwert231

Uh oh! Contains 10 different Windows versions but not from Microsoft? Hmm...

• User profile image
    AndyC

As has been said elsewhere, it'll be using a specially created file allocation table so that the same file appears to be in multiple directories. The high volume of overlap between Windows versions means that it compresses extremely well.

MSDN discs do this all the time, the Win2000 Pro/Server/Adv Server for example only uses slightly more disc space than a standard Win 2000 disk.

If your CD isn't from Microsoft though and does indeed have 10 Windows versions on it then it really belongs in the bin, once you've informed MSFT where you obtained it, naturally. 

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

AndyC wrote:
    As has been said elsewhere, it'll be using a specially created file allocation table so that the same file appears to be in multiple directories. The high volume of overlap between Windows versions means that it compresses extremely well.

MSDN discs do this all the time, the Win2000 Pro/Server/Adv Server for example only uses slightly more disc space than a standard Win 2000 disk.

If your CD isn't from Microsoft though and does indeed have 10 Windows versions on it then it really belongs in the bin, once you've informed MSFT where you obtained it, naturally. 

Good point...must think upon it. By the way what MSFT stands for ?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

shreyasonline wrote:

MSFT=Microsoft.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Loadsgood wrote:
    shreyasonline wrote:

MSFT=Microsoft.

plane old MS is really simple and more famous.

• User profile image
    amotif

shreyasonline wrote:

plane old MS is really simple and more famous.

MSFT is Microsoft's stock ticker symbol.  Learn it and love it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.