Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Effects of Installing 2.0 on 1.1 code

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Niners,

I have a simple question real quick. What adverse effects are there when installing .NET2 ontop of 1.1. Will any legacy-ASP code break? If so, what should I expect, and what should I be prepared to correct in the case that it does break.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

--wrong button--

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

.Net 1.1 and 2.0 are completely independent from each other.  An assembly compiled under 1.1 will only run on 1.1, and an assembly compiled under 2.0 will only run on 2.0.  (However, I don't know where an assembly compiled under 1.1 and used in an application compiled in 2.0 would run.)

Now, if you're going to recompile under 2.0, I'd suggest you read the list of all known breaking changes in .Net 2.0.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I just realized that I can run both 1.1 and 2.0 side-by-side on IIS. This is pretty helpful since I can designate either runtime for any given application. I have 2.0 apps that I set to compile with 2.0, and some older apps I set to compile with 1.1 - that is, until I can get everything working with 2.0 (or 3.0, depending on when it comes out officially).

Thanks for the input!

• User profile image
    cisco.​hernandez

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

.Net 1.1 and 2.0 are completely independent from each other.  An assembly compiled under 1.1 will only run on 1.1, and an assembly compiled under 2.0 will only run on 2.0.  (However, I don't know where an assembly compiled under 1.1 and used in an application compiled in 2.0 would run.)

Now, if you're going to recompile under 2.0, I'd suggest you read the list of all known breaking changes in .Net 2.0.

An assembly written in 1.1 can be run under 2.0. I think it actually runs under 2.0 unless you change the app.config to force it to keep to 1.1. It's been a while as the 1.1 application we still use is forced to run under 1.1 until we recompile it becuase of problems here and there.

An assembly written for 1.1 running under a 2.0 application needs to run under 2.0. I don't think, within the same process, .net will launch the two different frameworks.

• User profile image
    cisco.​hernandez

of course i'm dumb. it was under asp .. sorry about that. long day! Mad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

I wrote a (relativly speaking) complex webapp in 1.1 and it runs fine on 2.0 with no changes made.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.