Tech Off Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Best Practice for Exceptions

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

I'm not sure why, but I got in the habbit of doing this:
      Catch ex As Exception
       Throw New ApplicationException(ex.ToString)

I'm assuming, that because I'm not creating a New Object, this is better:
      Catch ex As Exception
       Throw ex

Am I correct?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Instead of catching an exception and throwing it again, can't you just not catch the exception?

• User profile image
    qwert231

Hmm..... Deep... Umm... yea... why didn't I think of that...

Ok, I can do that, I'm going to keep the try though.
    Like this...
    Try
    Finally
    End Try

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Note that according to best practices, you shouldn't catch Exception and you shouldn't use ApplicationException at all.

If you are throwing a different exception in the catch handler of an exception (which is a perfectly valid approach in many cases, just don't throw ApplicationException), always specify the original exception by using the constructor overload that takes an innerexception.

And if you just want to rethrow the original exception for whatever reason, just saying "Throw" with nothing after it is enough, you don't need to say "Throw ex". And if that's the only statement in the catch block, as Tommy said, better omit it completely.

• User profile image
    qwert231

Ok... (I was taught wrong practices... time to clean 'em out.)

Let's say I have this:
      Catch ex As Exception
       Throw New ApplicationException(debugStr & "-" & Chr(10) & ex.ToString)

How would I use the original exception type?
    (No, I DO NOT use debugStr all the time.)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What are you trying to accomplish here?

You shouldn't catch Exception. You don't have a clue what really happened if your in a catch block that caught exception, so how can you possibly recover sensibly. Catch classes derived from Exception, not Exception itself.

And who would catch that ApplicationException? How are they going to know what it was supposed to be about? If there is at least some debate possible about never catching generic exception types, you definitely shouldn't throw them.

I just can't think of a situation where what you're doing here actually makes sense, so please enlighten me. Smiley

• User profile image
    qwert231

Well, in a debuggin situation, I get the original exception's message. (When debugging, this included code line numbers.)

debugStr is mine, for more debugging purposes.

I'm willing to take in your point of view, but I'm a bit hazy. Can you tell me what you mean by this:

>> You shouldn't catch Exception. You don't have a clue what really happened if your in a catch block that caught exception, so how can you possibly recover sensibly. Catch classes derived from Exception, not Exception itself.

I'm thinking you're talking about, instead of catching any exception, Catch specific types of exception? (ie, SQLClient.Exception, or System.Threading.Exception)?

• User profile image
    nlondon

You might want to use this instead:

Try

'do stuff

Catch ex As Exception

'cleanup/rollback

Throw

End Try

I believe if you do "throw ex" you lose the call stack.

Thanks,
    Nate

• User profile image
    littleguru

just call throw without the exception object!

try
    {
    }
    catch (FileNotFoundException ex)
    {
        // Do clean up.
        throw;
    }

By specifying the exception object (throw ex) you reset the stack trace to the current method! Throw without arguments (throw) does not reset the stack trace.

If you don't do any clean up, don't handle the exception!

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

qwert231 wrote:
    I'm not sure why, but I got in the habbit of doing this:
      Catch ex As Exception
       Throw New ApplicationException(ex.ToString)

I'm assuming, that because I'm not creating a New Object, this is better:
      Catch ex As Exception
       Throw ex

Am I correct?

I have a similar bad habit (from the discussion I assume its bad) when writing services. All my services include a logging method that accepts a string and EventLogEntryType (error, warning, information, etc) .... I use catch blocks to catch "Exception" and then write to the eventlog with the method name and exception data as well as anything else i might find useful for debugging problems whenever something goes wrong.

Am I just stuck in some idea that this is useful? Any suggestions on a better way would be welcome as its somewhat tedious atm.

• User profile image
    AndyC

qwert231 wrote:

I'm thinking you're talking about, instead of catching any exception, Catch specific types of exception? (ie, SQLClient.Exception, or System.Threading.Exception)?

That's a good start, yes. The thing is, there is no value catching any exceptions at all unless you can usefully respond to what went wrong. If you catch something as generic as Exception, then you can't possibly know whether or not there was anything you could do about it.

• User profile image
    cheong

Sven Groot wrote:

I just can't think of a situation where what you're doing here actually makes sense, so please enlighten me.

Perheps if he wants to write a routine that will "email back the execption message/write the message to event log" whenever an exception occurs, it'll be appropiate to catch all the exceptions, email the content, then throw it again? Tongue Out

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

I generally catch the exceptions I can't do anything else about (i.e. they rely on a call to another app, database on another server, EDI transaction, etc); the rest I generally put in a catch-all that provides a more friendly error and writes the technical goodies to a logfile.

Then again, I'm a geek. I like the technical goodies, even if my users don't.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

In our applications, we put a try { ... } catch(Exception ex) { ... } at the very top-level of both our client and server applications. On the server-side, we log the exception. On the client-side, we send the exception to the server (if still possible), and show a friendly error message.

• User profile image
    littleguru

TommyCarlier wrote:
    In our applications, we put a try { ... } catch(Exception ex) { ... } at the very top-level of both our client and server applications. On the server-side, we log the exception. On the client-side, we send the exception to the server (if still possible), and show a friendly error message.

Application has an event that is fired if an exception is unhandled! AppDomain has also an event that is fired if an exception is unhandled. I tend to use them instead of wrapping all in a big try - catch thing.

• User profile image
    qwert231

Here's what I try to do in my apps. Any method invoked by a user, get's a try catch. In the catch I do something like this:

Catch ex As Exception
     ReportError(ex as exception, datetime, user (if possible), sessionID (if web project)...) ' Custom logging method.

labelErrors.Text = "There has been an error, please try again." ' For Web Projects
     MsgBox("There has been an error, please try again.")
    End Try

Any other methods, I usuall just send back, but I was shown early on that you should use throw. Now I am realizing, unless I want to do something other than throw, I'll avoid the catch there.

Sometimes I do throw out the extension with some of my own debugging info in there, like so:

Throw New ApplicationException(myDebugString & Chr(10) & ex.ToString)

Thus I get my info, plus the current stack trace.

However, after what has been shown in this thread, I think I can improve performance by getting rid of lines like these:
    Throw ex
    Throw New ApplicationException(ex.ToString) ' Don't remember why I started doing this.

• User profile image
    codewiz

Handling exceptions at the AppDomain level is good as a last resort for catching unhandled exceptions. However it doesn't replace in-line handling. When you use a generic handler you lose the context of where the exception occurs. You have the call stack, but you can't respond and handle the exception allowing the app to move on unless you handle it inline.

• User profile image
    qwert231

Handle inline? For instance...?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.