Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Internet Explorer Slow

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dcr26

Hi Guys,

I develop applications for our Intranet in classic ASP, and recently some of our web controls have slowed right down. Particularly when it comes to rendering tables. At first I thought it was our ASP code, but after tests in Firefox, it looks more like IE is guilty.

For example, this colour picker loads in milli seconds in FF, but in IE, it takes a few seconds!

I first notice this when our classic ASP "data grid" control was taking a long time to render a simple grid. A page with a large complex html table is generated by our server in less than a second, but IE takes some time to render the page. I did some quick benchmarks, and on average internet explorer is 4 times slower than firefox!

I was wondering if anybody else has the same problem or can provide some help/advice?

Oh, and technical data:
    IE version: 6.0.2900.2180
    FF 1.5.0.7
    XP Pro SP 2

Thanks,
    David

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's loading in a few milliseconds here. IE7 running here.

• User profile image
    gregoryw

On my system:
    FF 1.5.0.7: Fast; a few ms.
    IE 6.0.2900.2180: Fast; a few ms, but I notice the colours draw. Not anywhere near a second though.

Perhaps you've got some plugin installed in IE that is slowing things down???

• User profile image
    dcr26

Thanks for the reply guys!

Thats good news, so some little check box somewhere is ticked, or some other piece of software somewhere is slowing IE down somehow....  I wonder where to start looking?

Regards
    David

• User profile image
    kidzi

Use the width tags for the table and the first row of TD tags (or use CSS to set the width). 

Browsers can begin laying out the table immediately if you have that, otherwise they need to suck the whole table in and 'determine' that width.  There is also a CSS property for a fixed table which basically might be useful for that example, then tables render really fast (but it has some drawbacks, but you can look those up.... its been awhile).

• User profile image
    borosen

dcr26 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply guys!

Thats good news, so some little check box somewhere is ticked, or some other piece of software somewhere is slowing IE down somehow....  I wonder where to start looking?

Regards
    David

Two things to look for.
    1. Anti-virus.
    2. Addons. Turn them all off, and see if there is any difference.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.