Tech Off Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So...this is Vista

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Causam

Do you like Windows Vista?
    Did you expect more than the work that Microsoft developers has done? or Vista is a great OS?
    Share your opinions!Smiley

• User profile image
    JonesJ

I like it a lot, at first I was sceptical, but I tried to keep an open mind throughout the Beta's and now understand many of the design decisions made.

One thing, I wish the UI had (or at least had the option) to have more gratuitous use of the 3D hardware. OSX and more recently XGL have some nice, though gimmicky and of little use in the real world, graphical desktop effects.

Hopefully we can start to leverage WPF and DWM to satisfy my 3D thirst Smiley

Looking forward to a fully WPF based desktop UI in Vienna Big Smile

Good work all.

• User profile image
    KevinB

JonesJ wrote:

Looking forward to a fully WPF based desktop UI in Vienna

No way, could you imagine how slow that would be?

• User profile image
    footballism

JonesJ wrote:
    Looking forward to a fully WPF based desktop UI in Vienna

Actually current version of DWM is based on the WPF, but it only based on the unmanaged portion of it, anyway, WPF also uses milcore.dll for the graphical rendering, so the current version of DWM is already a fully WPF based implementation.

Sheva

• User profile image
    JonesJ

I'm already attempting to do a some cool stuff using the DWM thumbnail API and WPF

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

I love Vista.  Can't wait for it to get out there with the public.

It will be such a better computing experience for ordinary users.

• User profile image
    nwoolls

I love everything except for the new "colorful" maximized windows.  I wish pain and suffering on the users that requested maximized window borders match the color chosen for glass (don't take offense Wink.  Those are two separate things; glass tint <> border color.  In my opinion, the color in the new maximized windows seems horribly out of place.  At least, before, it matched the task bar and the rest of the UI. 

*Maybe* if this change were shown in the task bar so that it matched, it would be better.  However, the tint applied to the task bar doesn't so much match the maximized window colors. 

As it is, maximising a window (imho) disrupts what had finally become a fairly cohesive UI style.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

they just rewrote xp.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Causam wrote:
    Do you like Windows Vista?
    Did you expect more than the work that Microsoft developers has done? or Vista is a great OS?
    Share your opinions!Smiley

It's awesome. Biggest issues for me are with video drivers and some application compatibility issues. But that's certainly to be expected though considering all the changes Vista makes.

I'm looking forward to when the dust settles and Vista approved hardware and software starts coming out.

• User profile image
    nbradshaw

Nice graphics etc are fine but where is the business case for upgrading from XP or other recent OS's!

IMHO MS are going to be seriously disappointed by the business take up of Vista.  Win2k and XP are firmly settled in now, there's also still a substantial number of businesses running NT4, so why go through a major upgrade and major expense, just to provide a new pretty UI?

My users want fast and stable PC's, I'm not convinced that Vista will provide satisfactory levels in either criteria in the medium term.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

just wondering, WPF is on top of what? DirectX/Open GL?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Actually, WPF is on top of milcore, and milcore is on top of DirectX.

• User profile image
    Minh

Currently, OpenGL also works on top of DirectX Smiley

• User profile image
    Phostenix

nbradshaw wrote:
    Nice graphics etc are fine but where is the business case for upgrading from XP or other recent OS's!

For smaller businesses that don't have AD & group policies, the ability to finally run users successfully as limited users is a huge win in Vista. Time will tell if app compatibility is there, but I'd say that being able to take away admin rights & still function is a big incentive to move to Vista. The volume shadow copy (Previous Versions) functionality coming to the desktop is another good incentive for smaller businesses.

Grace and peace,

Steve

• User profile image
    Causam

I don't think Vista is a redisegned XP. There are a lot of performance technologies(superfatch, readyboost...), security technologies...

• User profile image
    staceyw

SecretSoftware wrote:
    they just rewrote xp.

What are you talking about??  It is not. We already been through this.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.