Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Media Player 10 & .wmv files

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dwjantz

I have problems playing .wmv files.  They play on the web but if I download them they won't play in the player.  I have all plug ins, etc.  What is the problem?

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet
  • User profile image
    dwjantz

Yes, I do.  And I downloaded them again just to make sure.  Still have the same problem.  When I download this type file I open it to play in WMP10, the player acquires a license, then I click Play.  The slider moves and it shows something is playing, but the screen is always blank.  Nothing ever plays.  They DO play within web pages, though.  All other files are not a problem.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

in tools-->options-->security-->zone settings
    try to lower your zone security to medium.

it might be related to a security setting halting the license.

• User profile image
    dwjantz

It is on Medium.  I reset it just to make sure, but it doesn't help.  This is strange.

• User profile image
    dwjantz

Well... I now think most of these are probably corrupt or missing something.  I have no trouble playing .wmv on the web, only downloaded files.  I did a google on this problem and it seems to be widespread.  But all the codecs are in, etc.  So... I will blame it on the files themselves, not my notebook.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.