Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Source control of Word Documents

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

We have a number of word documents in a VS2005 project that are under source control with SourceSafe.  Word doesn't seem to know about SourceSafe, so you have to remember to check the file out in source control and then open it to edit.

We're planning to move up to TFS soon and will be using that for version control -- is it any better for Word documents?
    Are there any tools (preferrably free ones) that will help with version control of Word documents?

Cheers

Herbie

• User profile image
    cygnus

How about sharepoint?

• User profile image
    phreaks

cygnus wrote:
    How about sharepoint?

I think Herbie wants Word docs to be controlled as part of a Solution, I think Sharepoint would still make them manually check-in/out docs as they were edited.

He is loooking for feature that will auto check-in/out docs as they are modified, and keep them in synch with his dev solution no?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Office-SourceSafe and Office-Team Foundation Server revision control integration would be a terrific feature!  (hint, hint Microsoft)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

phreaks wrote:

cygnus wrote: How about sharepoint?

I think Herbie wants Word docs to be controlled as part of a Solution, I think Sharepoint would still make them manually check-in/out docs as they were edited.

He is loooking for feature that will auto check-in/out docs as they are modified, and keep them in synch with his dev solution no?

Exactly!  Thanks for clarifying this while I slept. Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

Of course if you saved your word documents in XML you could use all the same source control stuff as your code.

That would only work if your version of office supported it (2003 does AFAIK) and you don't rely on features the XML saving doesn't work. I'm assuming that because office 2003 doesn't have the fancy new xml formats, that its format loses some functionality.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.