Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tables in word for layout (hypocrisy?)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

You all know me "use tables for layout? burn!", but is there a "correct" way of laying stuff out in Word?

I'm just digitizing my notes from class, I've often got pen diagrams and sketches to the left (going 1/4th the way accross) with notes and formulae on the right, in Word an image increases the line-height (except if you set a positioning scheme that's harder to use than CSS). And diagrams and drawings in Word are hard to work with (and extremely buggy, and the bottom scrollbar doesn't give immediate feedback unlike the vertical), so I've just been creating tables with 2 columns and no border.

So what's the correct way then?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

OneNote?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Larsenal wrote:
    OneNote?

Doesn't support OLE (or if it does, it lacks an "Insert Object" menu item), I use MathType a lot.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Why not float your images/diagrams?  That way, you can move them whereever you want (I think you can even make them stay with the paragraph they're closest to, if you're worried about them getting separated from the related text).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.