Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

No RAW viewer/thumbnails in Vista?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dentaku

I dumped some .CR2 files from a Canon D20 digital SLR into Vista today and found that it doesn't view RAW image thumbnails and of course the Microsoft RAW Viewer only works in XP SP2.

What's with that?
    You'd think a modern OS would have this feature built in considering it works with a free add-on in XP already.

• User profile image
    kettch

dentaku wrote:
    I dumped some .CR2 files from a Canon D20 digital SLR into Vista today and found that it doesn't view RAW image thumbnails and of course the Microsoft RAW Viewer only works in XP SP2.

What's with that?
    You'd think a modern OS would have this feature built in considering it works with a free add-on in XP already.

Every digital camera that can shoot in RAW has it's own proprietary file format. This includes different models under the same brand. A program that can read for the 20D won't be able to read the 30D unless it has been updated using the latest SDK from Canon.

The problem with the RAW thumbnailer is that it isn't a supported program, and it never gets updated (It still doesn't support the 30D). Perhaps we will see a version that supports Vista after RTM.

RAW support is fine for a third party program, or a plugin like the RAW viewer. For an operating system feature, though, the sands shift far too much. There is a constant stream of new cameras, and they would have to continually be releasing updates.

Hopefully this problem will be mitigated in the future as either more cameras move to using Adobe's Digital NeGative format, or more people convert their RAW files to DNG. The idea with DNG is that all digital photography workflow will happen in a single file format. Microsoft could make sure Vista supports DNG, and then just recommend that people convert their files. Microsoft recently acquired IView, which was one of the first companies to offer DNG support in their products, so hopefully this is a move in the right direction.

There are a number of programs that provide Canon 20D RAW file support. Photoshop is pretty much the best at editing, although browsing through the files in bridge isn't so great. Adobe is coming out with Lightroom sometime soon, which is a very good integrated photo workflow app. It doesn't have the graphics editing features of photoshop, but it should work pretty good for most purposes. There are others, just do some web searches.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Yup, that's logical.
    I just hope they come out with a new version of the raw viewer soon that actually installs on Vista.

• User profile image
    Ardfry Imaging

We are developing a DNG codec for Vista.

http://www.ardfry.com/dng-codec

• User profile image
    Massif

Have you tried importing the photos into Windows Photo Gallery? I've added some of my Sony's RAW pictures to it, and when it loaded them it detected that it needed a codec, and found the URL for me.

Which was nice, except that the codec didn't support x64 Vista... Sigh...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.