Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Request.UrlReferrer

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    r_taduri

Hi friends,

I used Request.UrlReferrer method to get previous requested url. When I used this method in one system it works well but when I tested on another system, it displays nothing. Is it browser dependent method?, Let me know your comments.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Subbarao

• User profile image
    Preaching​Llama

The referrer is only included when the user clicks a link to the page. Viewing the page that checks the referrer by any other means (pasting the URL, redirecting, etc) will not pass a referrer, and thus HttpRequest.UrlReferrer will be null.

• User profile image
    blowdart

PreachingLlama wrote:
    The referrer is only included when the user clicks a link to the page. Viewing the page that checks the referrer by any other means (pasting the URL, redirecting, etc) will not pass a referrer, and thus HttpRequest.UrlReferrer will be null.

Don't forget "privacy" software which strips the referring URL from the headers passed by the browser.

As with all external input it's really not to be relied upon.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

The Referer [sic] header can be easily modified by the visitor, too; don't rely solely on referrer-checking as a security method.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.