Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

In Search Of This

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Hi guys,
    I am looking for an application that , would detect the top most window In XP, and change its Priority to High. I want it to do this dynamically, so when a new window comes on top, it returns the previous one Priority to Normal, and the new one to High. Also, one that would have execlusions where you get to execlude an exe (because you cant change its priority due to protections (like antivirus software , firewall, etc..).

Any suggestions? Do you know of an app that does this?

I find that when i am watching a video on real player and I change the priority from task manager to high, it plays smoothly. So its kind of cool to automate this process.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for an application that , would detect the top most window In XP, and change its Priority to High. I want it to do this dynamically, so when a new window comes on top, it returns the previous one Priority to Normal, and the new one to High. Also, one that would have execlusions where you get to execlude an exe (because you cant change its priority due to protections (like antivirus software , firewall, etc..).

I find that when i am watching a video on real player and I change the priority from task manager to high, it plays smoothly. So its kind of cool to automate this process.
    for dynamic part you could create a windows service or better an app minimized to tray that monitor what you need, as for other things you need, check out this article on msdn magazine it shows how to do what you need, i think.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

Haven't tried it myself, but this looks like it fits the bill:
    http://www.3delite.hu/Process%20Priority%20Optimizer/index.html

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ion Todirel wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote: Hi guys,

for dynamic part you could create a windows service or better an app minimized to tray that monitor what you need, as for other things you need, check out this article on msdn magazine it shows how to do what you need, i think.

I see a potential issue:
    When you have set the top-most window to high priority, your monitoring service may start to be sluggish when checking for focus changes (because there's a now a high priority application hogging CPU time) and then may not be able to alter priorities in a timely manner when the focus changes next.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Dr Herbie wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote: 
    SecretSoftware wrote: Hi guys,

I see a potential issue:
    When you have set the top-most window to high priority, your monitoring service may start to be sluggish when checking for focus changes (because there's a now a high priority application hogging CPU time) and then may not be able to alter priorities in a timely manner when the focus changes next.

Herbie
    Isnt this issue fixed if i set monitor service priority to high?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ion Todirel wrote:
    Isnt this issue fixed if i set monitor service priority to high?

Then you end up with two high priority processes -- I've seen this get a little flakey (admittedly on lower end spec machines).

It could easily be and answer as the monitor will have minimal code running, it's just something to be aware of.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.