Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS 2005 Crashing

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Rossj

I seem to habve a problem with VS 2005 crashing whenever I open a particular solution. I suspect it is to do with the last usercontrol i was editing which is the one it crashes on when it is trying to open the designer tab for it.

Where is the list of open documents stored so that I can reset it for that solution? i.e. How can I get my solution to open up with no files opened?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

In similar situations, I usually start by killing any SUO files (user options), I am guessing that this is where the open documents list might be stored.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Rossj

Dr Herbie wrote:
    In similar situations, I usually start by killing any SUO files (user options), I am guessing that this is where the open documents list might be stored.

Herbie

Yes you're right.  A close and reboot also helped, for about 50 seconds and then if I clicked anything it crashed.  Can't wait for SP1.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Rossj wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote: In similar situations, I usually start by killing any SUO files (user options), I am guessing that this is where the open documents list might be stored.

Herbie

Yes you're right.  A close and reboot also helped, for about 50 seconds and then if I clicked anything it crashed.  Can't wait for SP1.

file a bug report with MS connect site, and include a sample of your solution so they can investigate this and fix it in sp1.

• User profile image
    SimonJ

I usually find that if I close all open documents and then Clean and Rebuild the solution, I can then open the file that was causing the problems. If that doesn't fix it, restart the development environment, close all open document, Clean and Rebuild.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    Rossj

The only way I can stop the IDE crashing is by deleting the SUO file for the solution.  And doing that allowed me to narrow it down to any time I open a particular form in design view. 

I guess I'll log a bug but seeing as SP1 is likely to appear with Vista I don't hold out much hope of a fix making the release.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.