Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Toshiba A40 Satellite

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    squiddie

Ever heard of a PC taking 28mins 37secs to switch on!?

Well thats my problem! The laptop is taking that long to boot up. And I don't mean from windows I mean from the moment the power button is pressed untill I get to a windows welcome screen!

I did a reformat of the drive to wipe it off and start fresh and thats the results. For a few hours I was recieving a "An Error Occured please press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" message, but that has since gone... for now!

I haven't got a clue whats going on or how to fix it! ANY ideas will be strongly welcomed!

Thank you in advance.

Specs:

Model: Toshiba Satellite A40
    CPU: Intel Celeron 2.8ghz
    RAM: 256mb
    HDD: 40GB

• User profile image
    Refrax

replace the hard drive with a new one. i had a laptop with a bad hard drive take a long time like that once.

• User profile image
    squiddie

Thats what I thought, especially considoring the error message I was reciving. I did hope for an easier solution though!!

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

It could be hard disk, but given the error, it sound like the CPU heat pipe has detatched.

In other words, your CPU is over heating because it effectively is not being cooled. To cope with this, the CPU is throttling itself. Very severely, in this case - it's possible ... Expressionless

• User profile image
    Sabot

I have a Tosh P100 and it took a long time to boot but not as long as your admittedly, so yep I would get it serviced in the first instance.

But if you want to try something out try this real neat software http://www.tune-up.com/

I cleaned up and defrag the registry which has shaved minutes off the boot time with this software, it's actually very well made.

I also run Diskeeper 10 and this keep the rest of the machine as quick as it can be. 

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

use spin right from grc.com.
     your hard drive could be dying!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.