Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 Problem (iexplore.exe) crashes

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    Hi guys,

    I have this weird problem with IE7. Each time I open a new tab the process crashes without any error message. Just vanishes from processes.

    Now I went to a website : ideas.live.com, and I get this error:

    Unhandled exception at 0x77ecb000 in iexplore.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xffffffff.

    It will not prompt me to send any error report , and it just dies on me.

    Any Idea what is causing this?

    Edit: I get Page Error: Message Box : Unhandled win32 exception occured in iexplore.exe . Also it happens when my firewall blocks the site IE crashes. strange.

  • User profile image
    Phostenix

    Is this an upgrade from IE6 & did you have the MSN/Live toolbar installed in IE6? I had issues with new tabs in IE7 until I uninstalled the old MSN toolbar.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    It's most likely an add-on crashing IE (since it doesn't do it much except with add-ons).

    My best advice is to go to Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings.  This will disable all your add-ons and restore IE to a default state.  Reenable essential add-ons one by one (using the Manage Add-ons box) until you find out what is crashing IE.

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    dont have any add ons.

     

    IE6 was upgraded using Windows Update. Restarted. Started browsing, bam, the crash happens.

  • User profile image
    DMassy

    SecretSoftware wrote:
    

    dont have any add ons.

     

    IE6 was upgraded using Windows Update. Restarted. Started browsing, bam, the crash happens.



    Double check the addons situation by running without addons installed. There's an option for this under Accessories/System Tools. It's easy to assume you have no addons installed when in fact you do.
    Does this happen on any other sites? Does it consistently happen on that site?

    Thanks
    -Dave

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    DMassy wrote:
    
    SecretSoftware wrote:

    dont have any add ons.

     

    IE6 was upgraded using Windows Update. Restarted. Started browsing, bam, the crash happens.



    Double check the addons situation by running without addons installed. There's an option for this under Accessories/System Tools. It's easy to assume you have no addons installed when in fact you do.
    Does this happen on any other sites? Does it consistently happen on that site?

    Thanks
    -Dave



    There is an add-on to the browser, from Outpost Firewall pro. This add in is integrated into the browser and allows more control over sites, (Block cookies, Scripts, Ads etc).

    Now with all other websites its works fine, but the problem seems to occure with that site. When another application opens a new link in IE7, IE7 crashes for some unknown reason (Unhandled exception ).

    When I click on a MenuItem in Windows Live Messenger (Beta Invitations), I go to ideas.live.com, and the IE crashes. Similarly, when someone sends me a link in messenger, IE crashes.

    Usually IE7 , when it crashes like this would ask me to send an error report to MS, but this time it does not, it just vanishes from the processes, after I click on the error msgbox (OK).

    Firefox works okay without any problems. All other programs work okay in my system. Its only IE7 that is causing me problems.

    I am going to remove IE7 and install it again manually, and see if this is going to help. Maybe Windows Update installation was corrupted? I will try and see. Or maybe the Firewall plugin is not uptodate with IE7?

  • User profile image
    DMassy

    SecretSoftware wrote:
    
    DMassy wrote: 
    SecretSoftware wrote: 

    dont have any add ons.

     

    IE6 was upgraded using Windows Update. Restarted. Started browsing, bam, the crash happens.



    Double check the addons situation by running without addons installed. There's an option for this under Accessories/System Tools. It's easy to assume you have no addons installed when in fact you do.
    Does this happen on any other sites? Does it consistently happen on that site?

    Thanks
    -Dave



    There is an add-on to the browser, from Outpost Firewall pro. This add in is integrated into the browser and allows more control over sites, (Block cookies, Scripts, Ads etc).

    Now with all other websites its works fine, but the problem seems to occure with that site. When another application opens a new link in IE7, IE7 crashes for some unknown reason (Unhandled exception ).

    When I click on a MenuItem in Windows Live Messenger (Beta Invitations), I go to ideas.live.com, and the IE crashes. Similarly, when someone sends me a link in messenger, IE crashes.

    Usually IE7 , when it crashes like this would ask me to send an error report to MS, but this time it does not, it just vanishes from the processes, after I click on the error msgbox (OK).

    Firefox works okay without any problems. All other programs work okay in my system. Its only IE7 that is causing me problems.

    I am going to remove IE7 and install it again manually, and see if this is going to help. Maybe Windows Update installation was corrupted? I will try and see. Or maybe the Firewall plugin is not uptodate with IE7?


    I'll ask again. Does the crash occur when you run without addons? Addons are the most frequent cause of IE crashes and sometimes they are so catastrophic that the browser cannot catch them to report them back to Microsoft.

    Thanks
    -Dave

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    DMassy wrote:
    
    SecretSoftware wrote: 
    DMassy wrote: 
    SecretSoftware wrote: 

    dont have any add ons.

     

    IE6 was upgraded using Windows Update. Restarted. Started browsing, bam, the crash happens.



    Double check the addons situation by running without addons installed. There's an option for this under Accessories/System Tools. It's easy to assume you have no addons installed when in fact you do.
    Does this happen on any other sites? Does it consistently happen on that site?

    Thanks
    -Dave



    There is an add-on to the browser, from Outpost Firewall pro. This add in is integrated into the browser and allows more control over sites, (Block cookies, Scripts, Ads etc).

    Now with all other websites its works fine, but the problem seems to occure with that site. When another application opens a new link in IE7, IE7 crashes for some unknown reason (Unhandled exception ).

    When I click on a MenuItem in Windows Live Messenger (Beta Invitations), I go to ideas.live.com, and the IE crashes. Similarly, when someone sends me a link in messenger, IE crashes.

    Usually IE7 , when it crashes like this would ask me to send an error report to MS, but this time it does not, it just vanishes from the processes, after I click on the error msgbox (OK).

    Firefox works okay without any problems. All other programs work okay in my system. Its only IE7 that is causing me problems.

    I am going to remove IE7 and install it again manually, and see if this is going to help. Maybe Windows Update installation was corrupted? I will try and see. Or maybe the Firewall plugin is not uptodate with IE7?


    I'll ask again. Does the crash occur when you run without addons? Addons are the most frequent cause of IE crashes and sometimes they are so catastrophic that the browser cannot catch them to report them back to Microsoft.

    Thanks
    -Dave



    Okay, I have Opened IE7 without add-ons (System Tools >> IE without addons).  I went through the steps that caused IE7 to crash, when I run it normally, and the crash does not happen at all. Even that site opened okay. So the problem is in the firewall plug-in. Sad

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    DMassy wrote:
    I'll ask again. Does the crash occur when you run without addons? Addons are the most frequent cause of IE crashes and sometimes they are so catastrophic that the browser cannot catch them to report them back to Microsoft.

    This is a bit of a tangent: one of the disadvantages of IE's add-on model that I've found in developing the Find As You Type add-on is that it's really, really easy to crash IE by mistake. It's one of the disadvantages of native COM add-ons I suppose. The fact that some things have to be done with window hooks or subclassing doesn't help either; it's too easy to get wrong.

    Simple example: I was doing some stuff with frames this afternoon for the next version of Find As You Type. So I get the IHTMLFramesCollection2, and call item, which gives me a VARIANT with type VT_DISPATCH. I expected that I had to release that IDispatch interface when I was done with it, but apparently not; calling Release on it caused IE to crash some time later on (I suppose when IE itself is releasing the object, now once too many).

    That's why IE8 simply must have either a managed or XUL-like add-on model, imho.

  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    DMassy wrote:I'll ask again. Does the crash occur when you run without addons? Addons are the most frequent cause of IE crashes and sometimes they are so catastrophic that the browser cannot catch them to report them back to Microsoft.

    This is a bit of a tangent: one of the disadvantages of IE's add-on model that I've found in developing the Find As You Type add-on is that it's really, really easy to crash IE by mistake. It's one of the disadvantages of native COM add-ons I suppose. The fact that some things have to be done with window hooks or subclassing doesn't help either; it's too easy to get wrong.

    Simple example: I was doing some stuff with frames this afternoon for the next version of Find As You Type. So I get the IHTMLFramesCollection2, and call item, which gives me a VARIANT with type VT_DISPATCH. I expected that I had to release that IDispatch interface when I was done with it, but apparently not; calling Release on it caused IE to crash some time later on (I suppose when IE itself is releasing the object, now once too many).

    That's why IE8 simply must have either a managed or XUL-like add-on model, imho.


    Agree. If IE7 had a way to detect if a plug-in will cause a major crash, it would simply disable it and inform the user and the developer of this. Kind of like Windows Live messenger's add-ins, where it would say, "This add-in caused an error and was turned of" and IE would continue as normal.

  • User profile image
    DMassy

    SecretSoftware wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote: 
    DMassy wrote: I'll ask again. Does the crash occur when you run without addons? Addons are the most frequent cause of IE crashes and sometimes they are so catastrophic that the browser cannot catch them to report them back to Microsoft.

    This is a bit of a tangent: one of the disadvantages of IE's add-on model that I've found in developing the Find As You Type add-on is that it's really, really easy to crash IE by mistake. It's one of the disadvantages of native COM add-ons I suppose. The fact that some things have to be done with window hooks or subclassing doesn't help either; it's too easy to get wrong.

    Simple example: I was doing some stuff with frames this afternoon for the next version of Find As You Type. So I get the IHTMLFramesCollection2, and call item, which gives me a VARIANT with type VT_DISPATCH. I expected that I had to release that IDispatch interface when I was done with it, but apparently not; calling Release on it caused IE to crash some time later on (I suppose when IE itself is releasing the object, now once too many).

    That's why IE8 simply must have either a managed or XUL-like add-on model, imho.


    Agree. If IE7 had a way to detect if a plug-in will cause a major crash, it would simply disable it and inform the user and the developer of this. Kind of like Windows Live messenger's add-ins, where it would say, "This add-in caused an error and was turned of" and IE would continue as normal.


    Definitely something we are thinking about moving forward. It's not an easy nut to crack but that's no excuse Smiley
    Thanks
    -Dave

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.