Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Endless reboot

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    crappy

Hi guys,

I am facing a problem of endless reboot loop on my windows XP machine. I think the problem's got to do with the fact that I was trying to install service pack 1, which could not complete due to some access error. When the system tried to remove the files it had installed during the partial installation, it couldn't locate many of the files and I guess they remained in the system. On reboot, I found that I get the windows starting up screen (with the windows logo), and then the system reboots by itself. It doesn't start in the safe mode or the "last known good configuration either". In safe mode, it loads drivers mup.sys, followed by another (whose name I unfortunately don't remember, and can't find out now either, since the system has stopped showing these as well now), and then reboots. I don't know what to do. I also have linux on my system with access to the windows files, so I can modify/delete some files there if required, only I don't know what to do. Someone please help me out.

• User profile image
    cokert

If you have access to a WinXP SP2 (or SP1) disc, boot from it and reinstall windows on top of the current installation.  You don't want the recovery console.  The feature isn't labeled recovery, but it will reinstall windows without modifying any installed programs or user files on your system.

I have done it in a test environment for server 2003, and it resulted in some instability, but there are a lot of people that have done it for the client versions with pretty good success.  For more info try googling for recovery install or something like that.

Also, if you had the system restore feature enabled, I'm 99% sure that there's a way to trigger a system restore without booting into the OS.  You can try googling for that, too, if you had it turned on.

• User profile image
    crappy

Hi cokert,

I tried what you suggested and it seems to be working fine (at least so far Big Smile). Thanks a lot Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.