Tech Off Thread

13 posts

XML Schema Viewer

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Massif

Just been handed the following mission:

Find an XML schema viewer which lets you expand / collapse large schema (schemas, schemae?) and (and here's the tricky bit) will print them as well.

Requirements, must cost less than XMLSpy.

Anyone got any ideas? They're currently using the schema viewer in Eclipse but that doesn't let them print. A print plugin for the eclipse schema viewer would probably be awesome.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Have you ever tried to use IE?

• User profile image
    stevef100
  • User profile image
    Massif

Thanks! Oxygen's on my list, but I think it is still a tad expensive when almost all they want to do is print out the schemas.

Sorry littleguru but IE doesn't do the nice graphical diagram-type display they're using.

• User profile image
    phreaks

I think hands down the best XML/XSL/XSD/Schema editor/IDE is Stylus Studio.

It blows XML Spy completely out of the water (IMHO), they have different pricing options, for whatever fits your needs.

Download the trial and check it out, maybe it will help.

http://www.stylusstudio.com/

Stylus Studio® 2007 XML Professional Suite $350 (save $150)    
    Stylus Studio® 2007 XML Home Edition $99 (save $50)

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Uh...all you gotta do is view the schema and be able to print it? Sounds like a rather small app...no? Why are we all looking for something like this, seems like it would be a quick-project.

Am I wrong?

• User profile image
    Massif

It would be quick to write one, yes, but it'd cost far more than buying even the most expensive one.

Just fixing the print feature in eclipse would be good Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Visual Studio has a fairly good schema editor/viewer (it's not stellar, but it's always been good enough for my purposes), and it can print. I think it's also included in the Express editions, which would make it free.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:
    Visual Studio has a fairly good schema editor/viewer (it's not stellar, but it's always been good enough for my purposes), and it can print. I think it's also included in the Express editions, which would make it free.

I'm using that too. Allows also to create a schema from an xml file... It allows also to exand and collapse nodes etc.

• User profile image
    stevef100

how about sharp develop????
    tis Free:)

• User profile image
    Massif

Thanks for all the replies, oxygen and stylus studios both do what I want, but probably cost too much considering that we only want the printing.

They're not using Visual Studio, so I don't think i can recommend that. (Although I'm going to have a look and see how well it works when I get back home to the copy I have there.)

They may just have to stick to printing out screenshots... Sigh...

• User profile image
    figuerres

Massif wrote:
    Just been handed the following mission:

Find an XML schema viewer which lets you expand / collapse large schema (schemas, schemae?) and (and here's the tricky bit) will print them as well.

Requirements, must cost less than XMLSpy.

Anyone got any ideas? They're currently using the schema viewer in Eclipse but that doesn't let them print. A print plugin for the eclipse schema viewer would probably be awesome.

Perhaps you can hack up something with XMLNotepad ??

it's a MSFT download that has the .net source for the app...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/xmlnotepad.asp

• User profile image
    eddwo

To me nothing comes close to the clarity of XMLSpy Schema diagrams.
    It is fairly expensive though if thats all that you want to use it for.

If you just need to print it out the once there are 30 day trial versions of all the XMLSpy products, and there was a free "Home" edition, though that could only cope with single-file schemas.

I've been using XMLSpy for 2 years, mostly just for the schema view, though the grid-view editing method has come in handy a few times.

It does however seem to get very slow and consume huge amounts of memory (2-300mb) when reading large files (16-25mb).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.