Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Ten Foot Experience for XP Pro Presentations?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    SteveC-A9

I was wondering if folks could give me their $.02 on how to make XP Professional work like Media Center Edition when it comes to overall display. For presentation on a television (laptop with RCA TV out), it'd be nice if I could have the good-looking font sizing, etc that makes MCE so easy to view.

What would it take in terms of settings, fonts, DLLs, etc?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I don't quite follow you, especially since MCE is XP Professional (sans a registry hack to get Domain membership working)

• User profile image
    bstevens2

The easy answer: get a LCD tv, their cheap and you can easily read 1024 pixels from you couch.

If you really want to control certain (task specific?) windows applications, you might want to consider replacing the default windows shell with another windows shell. The default windows shell simply isn't built for less then 640x480 (task bar and such).

If you want media center functionality without XP MCE clean install, try mediaportal.

• User profile image
    SteveC-A9

Yes, MCE=XP Pro. However, XP Pro desktop window fonts, window title bars, etc are near-unreadable when shown on a TV. Just setting the screen resolution to something low and the fonts to large looks like crap on XP. And looking at MCE, the display is anything but crap.

So, if I want good-looking TV-viewable output from my otherwise "normal" XP desktop, there has to be a set of Registry settings and custom fonts I need. Or something.

• User profile image
    benn23uk

bstevens2 wrote:
    The easy answer: get a LCD tv, their cheap and you can easily read 1024 pixels from you couch.

If you really want to control certain (task specific?) windows applications, you might want to consider replacing the default windows shell with another windows shell. The default windows shell simply isn't built for less then 640x480 (task bar and such).

If you want media center functionality without XP MCE clean install, try mediaportal.

Of course, hopefully Vista's settings for changing the display DPI should hopefully help with this.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.