Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Memory swapping

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    mr.telnet

Is it worth it to have a hd swap space with 2 gb ram and if you never exceed 1.5gb?  Im on AMD Athalon 3000+ w/XP Pro sp2.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Are you speaking about the page file? It depents on how much memory (RAM) you have in your computer. It should be 1.5 the size of your memory. But if you have a lot memory - for example 2GB - you could disable the page file, if you the memory is never filled.

I had my page file disabled in Windows XP with 2GB RAM. It was never really used and disabling it made my computer a little bit faster. Switching programs was faster and I tend to have quite a few open Smiley

• User profile image
    brantgurga

Just let Windows automatically set the size. It will set a reasonable minimum to avoid the performance problems of a small swap file that grows, but it will allow it to grow so that you don't run out of virtual memory. It is also import to have a swap file so that if your system crashes, a crash dump file will be written. That can then be debugged and/or sent to Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis to determine the cause of the crash.

• User profile image
    littleguru

brantgurga wrote:
    Just let Windows automatically set the size. It will set a reasonable minimum to avoid the performance problems of a small swap file that grows, but it will allow it to grow so that you don't run out of virtual memory. It is also import to have a swap file so that if your system crashes, a crash dump file will be written. That can then be debugged and/or sent to Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis to determine the cause of the crash.

Bad idea. It will lead in fragementation of the page file... If you care about performance, never let Windows do it.

• User profile image
    AndyC

littleguru wrote:

Bad idea. It will lead in fragementation of the page file... If you care about performance, never let Windows do it.

I think this is often overestimated. I've rarely seen cases where page file fragmentation has caused significant impact on the machine (and at that point the whole filesystem is usually so fragmented that it's not directly attributable to the pagefile). The benefits of letting Windows manage things usually outweigh any percieved performance issues.

• User profile image
    Massif

AndyC wrote:

littleguru wrote:

I think this is often overestimated. I've rarely seen cases where page file fragmentation has caused significant impact on the machine (and at that point the whole filesystem is usually so fragmented that it's not directly attributable to the pagefile). The benefits of letting Windows manage things usually outweigh any percieved performance issues.

QFT, I used to think having a fixed size page file was an improvement on windows but I've been disabused of that position.

Get PageDefrag from sysinternals to keep the page file from fragmenting, otherwise let windows do its thing - they're suprisingly clever those microsoft boys.

And the 1.5x your memory is a figure someone somewhere plucked out of the air and doesn't apply at all. It all depends on how you use your system, which determines your peak memory usage and therefore how much page file you need.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Massif wrote:

AndyC wrote: 
    littleguru wrote: 

QFT, I used to think having a fixed size page file was an improvement on windows but I've been disabused of that position.

Get PageDefrag from sysinternals to keep the page file from fragmenting, otherwise let windows do its thing - they're suprisingly clever those microsoft boys.

And the 1.5x your memory is a figure someone somewhere plucked out of the air and doesn't apply at all. It all depends on how you use your system, which determines your peak memory usage and therefore how much page file you need.

Try to have an very full HDD and we'll see how much fun it starts to be. I had such a fragmented page file... The green blocks (*missing the old defrag*) all over the hard disc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.