Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Signing code with a pfx file

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    GurliGebis

I have a pfx file containing both my certificate and my private key.
    I have entered it into visual studio together with my password.

Now, when I run Build Solution, it prompts me for the password, when I enter the password, it throws this message at me: "Object already exists".

In the error box, I get this error: Importing key file "codesigning.pfx" was canceled.

I'm wondering what might be wrong, if I generate a selfsigned key it works fine.

I generated the key with openssl to a .p12 file, imported it to windows, and exported it to a pfx file, with both the private and public key.

Any ideas of what is wrong? Do I need a certain extension when I generate the certificate and key?

• User profile image
    GurliGebis

I used this as my extension for generating my certificate:

[ codesign_ext ]
    extendedKeyUsage = codeSigning,msCodeCom

But I still get this error Sad

• User profile image
    SimonJ

I've got the same error after upgrading my development environment with VS 2005 SP1. I wonder if there is an incompatibility and I will have to remove the pfx file and create a new one.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    GurliGebis

I installed SP1 a few weeks ago, and generated the pfx file today, so I don't think that is causing it, but I'm going to test from a machine without SP1 installed.

UPDATE: Just tried it with a machine without SP1, same problem.
    I can easily select the certificate and get it loaded, but when I build, it asks for the password again, and this time I get the messagebox and the error.

Any ideas, or any way to get a bit more usefull information that just "Object already exists", since that doesn't really point me to whats causing the problem.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.