Tech Off Thread

14 posts

WPF MediaElement - No Video.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Jack Cade

I have a simple app that plays video with the MediaElement control, but it only appears to work on some machines.

It works on the machine I use to develop, but 2 out of the other 3 machines I tried it on resulted in a black area where the video should be.

Is this a known problem with the MediaElement control in WPF? I've made sure that the relevant codecs for the files are installed on each machine but no success.

• User profile image
    AndyC

1) Are you running on the RTM bits?
    2) Do you have Media Player 10 installed?

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

AndyC wrote:
    1) Are you running on the RTM bits?
    2) Do you have Media Player 10 installed?

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

It appears that it may be driver related, but so far I have been unable to say more than that.  Updating the drivers may work if you encounter this problem.

• User profile image
    RWlodarczyk

Please ensure that %windir%\system32\evr.dll and milcore.dll have the same date/time stamp (well, at least the dates should be the same). If not, please uninstall WPF, manually delete evr.dll and milcore.dll if they are left behind, and reinstall WPF.

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

RWlodarczyk wrote:
    Please ensure that %windir%\system32\evr.dll and milcore.dll have the same date/time stamp (well, at least the dates should be the same). If not, please uninstall WPF, manually delete evr.dll and milcore.dll if they are left behind, and reinstall WPF.

I will try this tomorrow.  Is there a reason this might happen? I was hoping to deploy this app to a lot (as in hundreds) of machines at some point and if I can find out why (previous beta or something) I can be a little more confident on releasing.

• User profile image
    nightski

You might have already solved this issue but in case you didn't, is it possible that the machines you deployed the application to do not have the codec required to play the video file?

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

nightski wrote:
    You might have already solved this issue but in case you didn't, is it possible that the machines you deployed the application to do not have the codec required to play the video file?

The codec is definitely on the machines, and is currently the same codec (elecard) which so far seems to be the best of the bunch (see thread on handle leaks)

• User profile image
    Jack Cade

RWlodarczyk wrote:

The two files mentioned have the same timestamp, so I guess this is not the issue and it is a driver issue.  Once the drivers are updated I will let you know.

• User profile image
    mms

Having same problem, .net 3.5, latest video drivers, various machines: codecs fail to load yet they work in WMP.

Strange thing is the failure isn't consistent on one of the machines, that is it works usually but fails for same file sporadically.

Error is media failed with HRESULT : 0XC00D10D1

Please help!

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

mms wrote:
    Having same problem, .net 3.5, latest video drivers, various machines: codecs fail to load yet they work in WMP.

Strange thing is the failure isn't consistent on one of the machines, that is it works usually but fails for same file sporadically.

Error is media failed with HRESULT : 0XC00D10D1

Please help!

0xC00D10D1 Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a required codec is not installed on your computer.%0 NS_E_WMPCORE_SOME_CODECS_MISSING

• User profile image
    footballism

Which version of WMP have you installed?

WPF uses somewhat different code paths for WMP10 and WMP11 when rendering video. For WMP10, WPF will explicitly replace
    VMR in the filter graph with EVR, this might cause some codecs to fail.

Hope this helps

• User profile image
    mms

Error messages are only a glimpse and usually a misguiding one, obviously the codec exists since like I said it plays in WMP.

This is an existing MediaElement issue, have seen it on both win32 and win64 machines. Video would reliably load in WMP yet MediaElement would sometimes fail. Tried different codec packs and maybe a driver update and don't see this anymore.

Another issue is if your WPF process is native 64 bit, here it will always fail except for maybe the basic wmv and mpg, most directshow filters run in 32bit only I suppose.

• User profile image
    zsfritz

I can't solve the same problem in my side.
    I would like to play a mp4 file h264 with mediaelement but I can't. I get a mediafailed message -  c00b11d1.
    Anyway I can play it with Windows Media Player - i have K-Light codec pack installed.
    I use a Vista x64 ultimate - but I tried to use the application on a x86 XP.
    Anyway I can play wmf files with my player withour any problem...

Does anybody can help me?

• User profile image
    Flunk

zsfritz said:
    I can't solve the same problem in my side.
    I would like to play a mp4 file h264 with mediaelement but I can't. I get a mediafailed message -  c00b11d1.
    Anyway I can play it with Windows Media Player - i have K-Light codec pack installed.
    I use a Vista x64 ultimate - but I tried to use the application on a x86 XP.
    Anyway I can play wmf files with my player withour any problem...

Does anybody can help me?
    This is probably too late but I think I know what the issue was. You are probably compiling your app from "Any CPU" (check the Platform target Build tab of the project properties.). This means that on x64 systems the media element will be attaching to the 64bit version of the player runtime. The reason your results are mixed is that you don't have 64bit direct show filters installed for the files you are trying to play. Because 64bit directshow filters are quite hard to get right now Windows Media Player runs as a 32bit process even on x64 systems.

As a work around change the "Target platform" to x86 and you'll probably find your problem disappears. I had this exact same issue when I was testing out the Media Element.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.