Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Upgrade from Upgrades

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cheong

This question come to my mind for interest:

While possibly no sane people will do that, it's at least legal to perform an upgrade path from Win3.1->Win95->Win98->WinXP->WinVista, as long as the chain of licences are valid.

I heard that Vista will remove support for 16-bit applications. So does the installation QC team checked this installation path? And will it work?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

cheong wrote:
    This question come to my mind for interest:

While possibly no sane people will do that, it's at least legal to perform an upgrade path from Win3.1->Win95->Win98->WinXP->WinVista, as long as the chain of licences are valid.

I heard that Vista will remove support for 16-bit applications. So does the installation QC team checked this installation path? And will it work?

If the computer is old enough to have run Windows 3.1 (or even 95/98), it's not going to run Vista.  So it's not really an issue.

• User profile image
    cheong

I presume that "full version" and upgrades that being attached to it are transferrable between computers, am I right?

So the computer that'll run Vista in this case don't necessary be the old computer that ran Win3.1.

I guess there're many companies like mine that have unsold copies of these upgrades in store. Tongue Out

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Chris Jackson

cheong wrote:
    I heard that Vista will remove support for 16-bit applications.

Vista 64-bit doesn't support 16-bit applications, but Vista 32-bit still does.

• User profile image
    mstefan

cheong wrote:
    I heard that Vista will remove support for 16-bit applications...

Ah, one of my favorite bits of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that's been spread around out there about Vista.

• User profile image
    cheong

Chris Jackson wrote:

Vista 64-bit doesn't support 16-bit applications, but Vista 32-bit still does.

This doesn't address all the issues here.

If you have systems upgraded from 16-bit system, there's high probability that traces of 16-bit drivers and DLLs will be remaining in the Windows directory. And I guess that isn't a major field WOW32 addresses, right?

Also, let me restate that I agree that no sane people will ever follow this path to do the upgrade from Win3.1, I'm just interested to see that if someone is really tempted to do so, will it work? This is a fun question only. Tongue Out

Last modified
  • User profile image
    cheong

mstefan wrote:
    Ah, one of my favorite bits of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that's been spread around out there about Vista.

Nice blog. Smiley

I think Microsoft should hold FAQs/summary like this on their website in easily accessible place to work against the FUDs floating around.

You know, even certain professional magazines here contains articles that contains FUDs floating on web... Not everyone is certain that whether Vista will rock for them or not.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    AndyC

cheong wrote:

If you have systems upgraded from 16-bit system, there's high probability that traces of 16-bit drivers and DLLs will be remaining in the Windows directory. And I guess that isn't a major field WOW32 addresses, right?

Doubtful.

Vista installs a completely fresh Windows directory and then does a File and Settings transfer. There might be 16-bit code in the Windows.old folder, but it's not going to run.

• User profile image
    cheong

Oic... Big Smile

I thought that behaviour applies for versions that cannot be upgraded only.

Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.