Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Dual CPU Server Needed? Seems to Expensive

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    MetaGunny

I went to price a 1U server at Dell and the price seemed outrageous, about 6K.  However, it could be because I don't understand the CPU part as much as I should.

I priced a server with two cpu's (each dual core).  However, is that really needed or is a single chip dual core the equivalent of a two cpu server before?  (Essentially, was I pricing a real 4 way server?)

Basically, my question is, would a single chip with dual core be about the same performance or more as an older xeon single core dual cpu server?

I understand that the server I need depends on many things, my workload, what I'm using it for, etc.  However, like I said, I thought I would want at least a dual cpu server.

I bought my own personal workstation for around 3,500 a couple of years ago with a dual cpu xeon server with hyperthreading that shows as 4 CPU's, at 2GHZ.  I think these were 2.33 ghz.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Dual core is, effectively, the same as 2 processors (albeit cheaper from a Windows license POV), so yes, you'd spec'd a 4-way box.

• User profile image
    MetaGunny

Thanks Andy.

So if I buy the single cpu dual core, I should get at least the same or better performance than a dual cpu, right?

Also, will it show two CPU's in task manager or one?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

MetaGunny wrote:
    Thanks Andy.

So if I buy the single cpu dual core, I should get at least the same or better performance than a dual cpu, right?

1) Yes (unless the dual CPU were both dual core)

2) Two

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

MetaGunny wrote:
    Thanks Andy.

The best way to think of dual core is Intel/AMD have taken to seperate chips and squezed them into one package.  So yes, dual core is almost idendical to two seperate single core chips.

A basic dual core 1U server from dell should be in the <£1K range.

• User profile image
    kriskdf

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

MetaGunny wrote: Thanks Andy.

1) Yes (unless the dual CPU were both dual core)

2) Two

I don't think this is totally true.  I think the cores share cache or bus or something.  There could be contention for anything that the cores share.  I'd double check.  Two cores should be better than one, but not equivelant to dual cpu.

• User profile image
    AndyC

kriskdf wrote:

I don't think this is totally true.  I think the cores share cache or bus or something.  There could be contention for anything that the cores share.  I'd double check.  Two cores should be better than one, but not equivelant to dual cpu.

I've found the difference to be marginal at best. YMMV, naturally.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.