Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

publishing code changes

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Eric Falsken

I get to rework my server setups. To deploy code updates, I currently have to Remote Desktop onto my server and use Eclipse to syncronize my source code repository with the local server. The boss insists on it this way because sometimes he checks things into source control that he dosn't want to "go live" yet, or which need revision by another team member. I guess there's nothing really wrong with it, but in this day and age, it feels kind of "wrong" to have to access the server directly and interactively pull files onto the server.....that was so 1997-server-management-style.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

The only thing I can come up with is to force him to manually pull older versions of the files he does not want to publish, causing his system to appear "as he wants it", and then doing an FTP, xcopy, or equivalent operation to publish to the live server. He won't like this, but the catch is that other users may accidentally download his unpublished changes and publish them.

How can I make this work?

• User profile image
    Custa1200

NANT

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Eric Falsken wrote:
    I get to rework my server setups. To deploy code updates, I currently have to Remote Desktop onto my server and use Eclipse to syncronize my source code repository with the local server. The boss insists on it this way because sometimes he checks things into source control that he dosn't want to "go live" yet, or which need revision by another team member. I guess there's nothing really wrong with it, but in this day and age, it feels kind of "wrong" to have to access the server directly and interactively pull files onto the server.....that was so 1997-server-management-style.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

The only thing I can come up with is to force him to manually pull older versions of the files he does not want to publish, causing his system to appear "as he wants it", and then doing an FTP, xcopy, or equivalent operation to publish to the live server. He won't like this, but the catch is that other users may accidentally download his unpublished changes and publish them.

How can I make this work?

What source control system are you using?  Visual SourceSafe and Team Foundarion Server both have command line access for getting files :  you should be able to automate this with batch files or powershell scripts easily enough.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.