Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

vb.net & SSIS package execution

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    mark66221

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out how to get a vb.net program to pass parameter information to a SSIS package and execute it to upload tables from an Access DB.

I have the SSIS packages created but am having trouble finding any code snipets in VB.net

Thanks

• User profile image
    Lunchy

When you're in the design view of your SSIS package you can right click in the designer window and click the "Variables" menu item.  This should display the "Variables" tab where you can add variables to the DTS package.  I will use the example of 'vDivisionID' which I have set to be an Int32

Then you can go into the properties of the Script Task that you are working with, and you'll see "ReadOnlyVariables" and a "ReadWriteVariables" properites.  You will need to enter a comma seperated list of the SSIS variables you want to access from the script in which ever of these two properties is appropriate.  In my case I put 'vDivisionID' into the "ReadOnlyVariables" property.

Then, once you're in the script editor ready to write the vb.net code, you can access these varaibles with the Dts.VariableDispenser class like this...

Public Sub Main()
            Dim variables As Variables
            Dim DivisionID As String

If Dts.VariableDispenser.Contains("vDivisionID") = True Then
                DivisionID = Dts.Variables("vDivisionID").Value.ToString
            Else
                Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Failure
                Exit Sub
            End If

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success
        End Sub

I hope this helps and makes sense, I was in a rush while writing this. Smiley

• User profile image
    mark66221

But what would the vb.net code for execution of the package look like?

• User profile image
    Lunchy

I'm not familiar with how to fire off a package from code.  We just schedule our packages to run with SQL jobs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.