Tech Off Thread

90 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

time.windows.com

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I confirm time.windows.com is having trouble getting synced to its master... will update this thread when this is resolved.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

OK, we've fixed something else.  Does it work now?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Nope. It's saying the peer is unreachable. Even after flushing dns, unless that's cached somewhere else.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

OK, it works. I synchronized successfully AND I live overseas.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

ZippyV wrote:
    OK, it works. I synchronized successfully AND I live overseas.

W00t!

I'll check syncing from home this weekend.

• User profile image
    anand.t

it worked atlast in Canada as well Cool      

• User profile image
    madskillz8

how come i'm in canada and it's not working on me. i tried time.mit.edu and thats working

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I can confirm that, it doesn't work. While yesterday it synchronized in less than a second.

• User profile image
    Dude111

Seems to be alot of strange stuff happening lately...

(The VA thing,etc)

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I can sync now.  Nice and snappy, too (unlike time-b.nist.gov).

Smiley

• User profile image
    rmalayter

IT appears that time.windows.com is broken again. From a reliable tier-1 connection in Chicago, USA:

U:\>w32tm /monitor /computers:time.windows.com,clock.isc.org
    time.windows.com [207.46.130.100]:
        ICMP: error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
        NTP: error ERROR_TIMEOUT - no response from server in 1000ms
    clock.isc.org [204.152.184.72]:
        ICMP: 47ms delay.
        NTP: -0.0847599s offset from local clock
            RefID: clock.pao1.paix.net [216.200.141.8]

Looking at DNS, it seems the CNAME redirection to Akamai is gone, and I believe the IP is different than what I was seeing last week. But this new address does not seem to be responding to NTP queries.

NTP is such a simple service, and a fairly critical one considering how Kerberos authentication depends on it. I'm frankly shocked MS cannot run it reliably for their customers. If a few hundred volunteers can provide reliable NTP service through the NTP Pool Project, surely MS with it's billion-dollar infrastructure budget can do the same! Why didn't this issue set off monitoring alarms?

• User profile image
    madskillz8

anyone working in MS here and knows what's going on? I just have a question guys, if I use a different time server like time.mit.edu, can that break my pc down?

• User profile image
    madskillz8

anyone that can sync, please let me know and what time server did you use. Thank You!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I can sync again with time.windows.com and yes, if you use a different time server you could potentially blow up your pc.

• User profile image
    madskillz8

how is that possible? would someone back this up? well, i've only use time.mit.edu for now. I dont think that's a bad one though. And where could i find a list of time servers we i could use. I'm from Vancouver, Canada by the way.

Anyone that can sync with TIME.WINDOWS.COM let us know and what area you live in..

Thank You.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

madskillz8 wrote:

how is that possible? would someone back this up? well, i've only use time.mit.edu for now. I dont think that's a bad one though. And where could i find a list of time servers we i could use. I'm from Vancouver, Canada by the way.

Anyone that can sync with TIME.WINDOWS.COM let us know and what area you live in..

Thank You.

I can sync with time.windows.com (in Nashville, TN), and ZippyV was just joking.  You won't blow up your PC by syncing with an alternate time server.

• User profile image
    madskillz8

ah ok. i was kinda worried that it was possible, wow, that's a relief. sorry im not realy pc savy like you guys im just curious for why time.windows.com isnt working any more, i just thought it was just my pc or firewalls but my other pc isnt working as well.

I hope this issue with the windows time server gets fix soon.

• User profile image
    madskillz8

Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.