Tech Off Thread

90 posts

time.windows.com

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anonyy

Dude111 wrote:
    Hello everyone Smiley

I just noticed tonight my browser was unable to connect to "clock.via.net" as well as any of the others in the list (I have 6 in the list) so i tried the one i found on this thread and it works!

time-a.nist.gov

I dunno whats going on but its a big pain!

Nice site here Smiley

EDIT:

Here is a list of other time servers

http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html

Yeah i had this problem too with time.windows.com & time.nist.gov which were originally there but i just tried time-a.nist.gov it works for me. Big Smile

i am surprised microsoft don't care about this problem someone should give them a good rollaking in an email. Tongue Out

found this link http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers  has a long list of time servers

• User profile image
    alfapositivo

Is it not possible this fact allows to spy on computers easierly? No time concordance, big hole to attack.

Maybe that is because Microsoft is not answering anything at all.

I would like to receive your comments.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

alfapositivo wrote:
    Is it not possible this fact allows to spy on computers easierly? No time concordance, big hole to attack.

Hmmm... I suppose that in principle you could use time offset as a personal identifier... I'm not aware of any security vulnerabilities here, though.

Note that time.windows.com is "fixed", so the default XP and Server 2003 installs are back up and running.  The impact of this bug is now limited to people who changed their time server from the default.

I put "fixed" in quotes because the way we fixed it was to point time.windows.com to a lower-precision server.  So if you sync to time.windows.com, you get less precision than you probably should.

But we're talking about tenths of seconds vs. nanoseconds, so it's not a huge deal for most people.

The hotfix request is in dev triage now.  I have it on my list of things to follow up on, but I'm letting it bake for now.

• User profile image
    Paanch

Hi !

I've just discovered this post...
    My Domain Controller (Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2) still have some problems too with time.windows.com. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not...

I will try to translate you some of the messages I get (I'm in France):

• Today at 11:08:24 (ID 29) : "The NtpClient time provider is configured to get the time from one or several time sources, however no source is actually accessible. No tries to contact one will be done until 15 minutes. NtpClient has no precise time source."
    • Today at 11:08:24 (ID: 47): "NtpClient time provider : No valid response was received from the homologue manually configured time.windows.com,0x1 after 8 tries to contact it. This user will be rejected as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a new user with this DNS name."
    • Today at 11:53:24 (ID: 37): "The NtpClient time provider is actually receiving valid time data from time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|Sever@IP:123->207.46.130.100:123)."
    • Today at 11:53:24 (ID: 38): "The NtpClient time provider can't reach or receives actually no valid time data from time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|Sever@IP:123->207.46.130.100:123)."
    And it is always like that... Everyday... First I thought it was a configuration problem on my server, but it seems to be a little more complicated...
    Have you got some news about the problem ?

Thank you very much,

Paanch

• User profile image
    jmargoli

Time stopped synchronizing several weeks ago on several PCs running XP Pro SP2 until I entered the IP address in the McAfee firewalls (129.6.15.28 for time-a.nist.gov).

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Yes, McAfee's firewall will block NTP by default.  You either have to add the server as a trusted IP address, or check Network Time Protocol (NTP) in the list of allowed system services to get it to work.

If you use NAT or an SPI firewall, it's possible that that is blocking NTP as well.

• User profile image
    Paanch

OK... I have a McAfee appliance... Maybe the problem is there... I'll check it.

But if that's the problem, isn't it strange that sometimes it works and sometimes not ?

Well, I'll check it tomorrow and I'll see.

Thank you !

• User profile image
    Wizzyboo

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
    Shot at 2007-07-20

guys iunno i cant sinq and iunno what they mean by this -__-

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Many Internet Service Provider's (ISP) will run their own Time-Server. So have you tried changing it from time.windows.com to your ISP's local  Time-Server ?.

For example, if your ISP was xyz.net then, try ntp or time . That is ntp.xyz.net or time.xyz.net. Just type over the existing time.windows.com entry. If these fail, then contact our ISP and ask them.

• User profile image
    Wizzyboo

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]
    Shot at 2007-07-20

ok did what u said new problem and because if the time problem my msn wont work Sad

• User profile image
    Wizzyboo

wow found the problem time was on 2006 and its 2007 ill be dang:@

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

That would do it - NTP won't sync if the delta is more than some period of time (an hour?)

On the original issue, time.windows.com is working and a hotfix for XP and server 2003 is under way.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Hotfix for Windows 2003 Server SP2 is available through Product Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940742/en-us

• User profile image
    ZippyV

XP?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

ZippyV wrote:
    XP?

Stay tuned...

/not to be construed as a guarantee

• User profile image
    cuttass

hi ive gat a ? how do you do that in stepps for vista 32bit

• User profile image
    cuttass

Generic Forum Image
      RichardRudek
      So what do you expect for nothin'... Tongue Out
    Generic Forum Image Generic Forum Image  
      Fri, Jul 20 2007 9:02 PM Generic Forum Image
    Many Internet Service Provider's (ISP) will run their own Time-Server. So have you tried changing it from time.windows.com to your ISP's local  Time-Server ?.

For example, if your ISP was xyz.net then, try ntp or time . That is ntp.xyz.net or time.xyz.net. Just type over the existing time.windows.com entry. If these fail, then contact our ISP and ask them.

i ment for anybody how can i do this for vista 32bit

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Soapbox resizes the video, but here.

If you want Full size, letme know, and I'll see if I can post it to channel 9's sandbox - click the main "forums" link above.

See this video on MSN Soapbox

EDIT: [Posted to sandbox]

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.