Tech Off Thread

90 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

time.windows.com

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Gerg

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    Hotfix for Windows 2003 Server SP2 is available through Product Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940742/en-us

Hi Matthew - I hope replying to this thread is an okay way of bringing this up.

Have a couple instances of Vista and one of XP running here, and none are able to sync to time.windows.com at all. Have been trying for the past 12 hours, and the important point is that Vista machines are also at issue. I also had a couple people check with their Vista and XP computers to make sure itr wasn't just me. Is the server offline, or is this maybe a case of too-great precision again?

Seems like the rule for the default NTP host shodul be that it should be of reasonable precision, meaning it will get you a good level of acuracy but will allow for some variance. People who need greater precision can and shoudl use a different time service, but the vast majority of users who just run Windows and have no clue what NTP is should be able to count on a time service from MS that works in the environment. Just my two cents. Smiley

Also, running a network scanner, it looks like a timeout type of issue. The IP resolves but there appears to be no response.

Feel free to email me - greg AT greghughes dot net

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I also can't sync my Vista with time.windows.com. I get peerstratum is lower that hoststratum.

• User profile image
    Gerg

Also interesting is that the server appears to respond sometimes (see top example), not at other times (second example). Mostly it just times out. Overload?

-----------------------

C:\Users\greg>w32tm /monitor /computers:time.windows.com,ntp1.dlink.com
    time.windows.com[207.46.130.100:123]:
        ICMP: error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
        NTP: +7.7035235s offset from local clock
            RefID: (unspecified / unsynchronized) [0x00000000]
            Stratum: 0
    ntp1.dlink.com[64.7.210.145:123]:
        ICMP: 44ms delay
        NTP: +1.0448169s offset from local clock
            RefID: nist1.aol-ca.truetime.com [207.200.81.113]
            Stratum: 2

-----------------------

C:\Users\greg>w32tm /monitor /computers:time.windows.com,ntp1.dlink.com
    time.windows.com[207.46.130.100:123]:
        ICMP: error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
        NTP: error ERROR_TIMEOUT - no response from server in 1000ms
    ntp1.dlink.com[64.7.210.145:123]:
        ICMP: 46ms delay
        NTP: +1.0378535s offset from local clock
            RefID: nist1.aol-ca.truetime.com [207.200.81.113]
            Stratum: 2

-----------------------

• User profile image
    go_all_blac​ks

Was having a problem with time synchronization and also with AVG.
    Fixed it instantly by changing the time server in Regedit:

hkey local machine/software/microsoft/windows/datetime/servers

replace time.windows.com with tick.usno.navy.mil

hope this helps.

• User profile image
    go_all_blac​ks

go_all_blacks wrote:
    Was having a problem with time synchronization and also with AVG.
    Fixed it instantly by changing the time server in Regedit:

hkey local machine/software/microsoft/windows/datetime/servers

replace time.windows.com with tick.usno.navy.mil

hope this helps.

oops sorry theres a mistake in the registry key above
    lets try that again!

hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/datetime/servers

thats better!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Why do you want to mess with the registry if you can change it in a dialog box with only a couple of clicks?

• User profile image
    gshukert

This is a bit off topic but I can't find an answer anywhere. When I double click on the time at the bottom right to get Date and Time Properties, I do not have the tab for Internet Time. I only show Date & Time and Time Zone. Can someone tell me how to get the other tab activated so I can use to synchronize with and internet source????

Thanks

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I believe that if you're joined to a domain you don't get the Internet Time tab... because your clock source has to be the domain controller for Kerberos to work.

• User profile image
    vladnc

OK, almost one year later, time.windows.com still doesn't work. It doesn't work on my Windows XP MCE 2005 at home, and it doesn't work on my Vista Bussiness x86_32 at work.

I don't care much about the computer at work, but the Media Center computer started tv show recording 10 minutes too late because of this bug.

This sucks.

I'm in Romania, on a wireless dial-up connection at home, and a LAN connection at work.

Event Log:
    The time provider 'NtpClient' returned an error when asked for time samples. The error will be ignored. The error was: The handle is invalid. (0x80070006)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

ping time.windows.com

Pinging time.microsoft.akadns.net [207.46.197.32] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.46.197.32: bytes=32 time=325ms TTL=111
    Reply from 207.46.197.32: bytes=32 time=313ms TTL=111
    Reply from 207.46.197.32: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=111
    Reply from 207.46.197.32: bytes=32 time=304ms TTL=111

Ping statistics for 207.46.197.32:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 304ms, Maximum = 332ms, Average = 318ms

After changing the server, it seems to work:

The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time-b.nist.gov (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.1.2:123->129.6.15.29:123).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• User profile image
    Clemsonguy5​08

My computer cannot connect to time.windows.com either.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It worked for me, using Vista.

• User profile image
    Yankee

It's not working for me (Romania).

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Try again, it worked for me after the 2nd try.

• User profile image
    Discover124

ZippyV said:
    Try again, it worked for me after the 2nd try.
    I figure I should start from the last person, the most recent time. My solution was using Uniblue - RegistryBooster 2, nothing else worked. I ran a scan with the Registry Cleaner the scan found 26 errors, then restarted Computer. I was able to update the time, fixed my problem.

• User profile image
    LeeMcD

Well I use two machines running Vista and neither will sync with the clock at time.windows.com. Something is definitely wrong. I have two clocks saying different times. Will be checking my machines running xp later today. But I will assume from this forum, at this time, that they won't update either. I went to time.windows.com and got some other time server. Was leary of trying it incase it was some BHO or other spyware type website. that website is http://www.pool.ntp.org/ it redirects to. NTP Pool project? HUH?

• User profile image
    spivonious

LeeMcD said:

Well I use two machines running Vista and neither will sync with the clock at time.windows.com. Something is definitely wrong. I have two clocks saying different times. Will be checking my machines running xp later today. But I will assume from this forum, at this time, that they won't update either. I went to time.windows.com and got some other time server. Was leary of trying it incase it was some BHO or other spyware type website. that website is http://www.pool.ntp.org/ it redirects to. NTP Pool project? HUH?

heh, you realize that you bumped a thread that is orginally from 2 years ago, right?

• User profile image
    MikaelDui

Ok.

Just open the settings for Time-Update. Inactivate the time-update. open it agian, activate and sync. It works for me!

Please post a "confirmation" that it works for you.... Smiley

// Mikael DĂși

• User profile image
    cheong

, John Galt wrote

This was likely done intentionally becasue there likely was no way to fix the time server in time to handle DST changes for North America properly, so someone said "ok, let's just disable the sucker and no one will notice!"

um.... right...

That's not reasonable... time servers supposed to be only sync time in UTC. The DST thing should operate in timezone level, and the reference clock should know nothing about DST, there's no reason should they interfere...

EDIT: Oh, no aware it's another old thread, please ignore it.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.