Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Changing Targeted .Net Framework - Visual Studio Orcas

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    nodtek

Hello and thanks for having me.

I have been trying to find an answer to this everywhere, but it appears I am failing terribly.

I am trying to find how to change the .NET Framework version Visual Studio Orcas BETA1 targets when creating an application in VB or C#? As far as I can tell by default the .NET Framework version Orcas targets is 3.5. I want to be able to change this to 1.1, 2.0 & 3.0 accordingly. This is a feature I thought was available, I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

From what I have read and from a video I have watched at Channel9.MSDN this is definately a feature available in the new Visual Studio but is it actually available in the current BETA1? I thought it was.

According to this video it's possible:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=302229

Third post in this thread also says its possible:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1406581&SiteID=1

Before this new feature in Visual Studio users would have to load different versions of Visual Studio on their PC's for targeting specific version of the .NET Framework (or use a different IDE with specific .NET Framework SDK - Like SharpDevelop). But from what I understand Visual Studio Orcas is here to change that, allowing one version of Visual Studio to be loaded on a users PC to target any version of the .NET Framework.

Perhaps I am looking at this completely wrong and I have gotten my information mixed up. If so please advise. If anyone can lend a hand and show me how to do this I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks kindly,
    nodtek

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

In Orcas Beta 1 there is a dropdown on the top right of the new project window where you can select the frameworks.

On existing projects, its in the project properties dialog of the solution - where you setup other things like publishing and assembly information.  Again, there is a dropdown.

Not sure pre-Beta 1.  I think there was a small icon on the new project window which expanded to give you the options.

• User profile image
    nodtek

Sorry I'm using BETA1 - Got the versions incorrect.

As for this drop down box, I can't seem to find it (definately using BETA1 I just checked) - Are you able to take a screenshot for me please?

Thanks kindly.

• User profile image
    wkempf

nodtek wrote:
    Sorry I'm using BETA1 - Got the versions incorrect.

As for this drop down box, I can't seem to find it (definately using BETA1 I just checked) - Are you able to take a screenshot for me please?

Thanks kindly.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.