Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Installer - Installshield

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge about windows installer and installshield.  I have to clean up after some botched installs (my fault, really) and I was wondering what regkeys I should hunt down.  I have the product code of course.  The files are obvious, I think, and there are extra ones stored in program files as well I think (IS puts things in there... logs I think)

• User profile image
    AndyC

msizap is pretty handy. The only way to be absolutely sure though (for testing etc) is to reinstall Windows from scratch.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC wrote:
    msizap is pretty handy. The only way to be absolutely sure though (for testing etc) is to reinstall Windows from scratch.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is a frontend for msizap, if you don't have access to the utility or don't want to mess with the command line.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Re-installing Win2k3 would be a huge hassle right now, so I'll pass on that.  I'll try this other thing though.

I've managed to get two copies of the same product in the Add/Remove applet.  The installer I build (using the IS12SP1 standalone build) gets a new package code each time, but the product code stays the same.  I think that is one issue causing me grief.  The upgrade code hasn't changed, I think.

Yeah, msizap isn't doing anything.  I seem to have seriously borked things.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

msizap is unable to do it automagically, but "msizap ?" tells me where to look.  Apparently I'm not using the right product code or something, but I can just use the handy info from msizap ? to know where to look.  I can recognize the product from subkeys.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

DoomBringer wrote:
    msizap is unable to do it automagically, but "msizap ?" tells me where to look.  Apparently I'm not using the right product code or something, but I can just use the handy info from msizap ? to know where to look.  I can recognize the product from subkeys.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility will take care of that--  it will give you a list of everything in Add/Remove programs and you can tell it which to remove.

(edit) Oh, msizap isn't working...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Well, now I need to figure out why my Installshield installer isn't generating a log file during installation.  For some reason, the installer runs just fine, but trying uninstall fails because it can't find a log file.  (setup.ilg)

For some reason, I keep getting a new product code when I build using my automated build process.  This might be a problem... I'm not an expert on IS, so I don't know for sure.

• User profile image
    AndyC

DoomBringer wrote:

For some reason, I keep getting a new product code when I build using my automated build process.  This might be a problem... I'm not an expert on IS, so I don't know for sure.

Not only is that not a problem, it's absolutely required. The ProductCode identifies a specific release of a Windows Installer package. If you make any changes other than those that can be handled by a small update or minor upgrade then you will probably need to change the product code.

Precise guidelines for when you need to do this can be found here.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

AndyC wrote:

DoomBringer wrote:

Not only is that not a problem, it's absolutely required. The ProductCode identifies a specific release of a Windows Installer package. If you make any changes other than those that can be handled by a small update or minor upgrade then you will probably need to change the product code.

Precise guidelines for when you need to do this can be found here.

Well, FWIW, I've been repackaging the same build.  Also, there are specific upgrade paths I'm working with.

I found the issue with the log file, and apparently the REGDB_OPTIONS flag, once set to 64 bit with REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS | REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY needs reverted back with REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS & ~REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY.

Installscript is crazy!  The latest problem I'm getting is that the uninstall process works, except it fails to remove any files.  The Installscript is explicitly calling the DeleteProgramFolder() thing correctly, AFAIK.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.