Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Codename Longhorn Server Stall?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    earnshaw

http://www.mdrsesco.biz/PRIME95_STALL.JPG

shows Windows Longhorn Server running the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), which the OS has determined has failed in some indefinable way and must be closed.  The same binary has been running without complaint under XP, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows Vista RTM.  Could be a problem that Windows Longhorn Server is running under latest virtual PC software?  Hmmm.  This has happened 3 times.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Can I get a link to what you're running so I can try it?

• User profile image
    earnshaw

You can download the GIMPS software here:

http://www.mersenne.org/

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I can't get it to freeze or crash (in Virtual PC 2007, running Longhorn Server Beta 3 and the latest available version of Prime95).  It could be something about the workload that machine's been assigned that's giving it trouble.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

In all 3 cases where the problem has arisen, the program has run more than 24 hours (perhaps several days) without stopping.    It would be amusing were the OS to be more specific in its missive as to the nature of the program failure.  It is possible, though unproven, that the problem is related to the screen saver.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

Here is something relevant from the Event Log:

http://www.mdrsesco.biz/evntlog.bmp

• User profile image
    earnshaw

Well, it is still at it.  PRIME95.EXE running under Windows Longhorn Server running under Microsoft Virtual PC running under Windows Vista RTM is still failing in some undefined way as described above.  The relevant log entry follows...

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          5/7/2007 3:30:40 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XPS600-LHS.mdrsesco.com
    Description:
    Faulting application Prime95.exe, version 24.14.1.0, time stamp 0x42f8f6a5, faulting module Prime95.exe, version 24.14.1.0, time stamp 0x42f8f6a5, exception code 0xc000001d, fault offset 0x00347ec4, process id 0xb2c, application start time 0x01c78ea51f548aa7.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-05-07T07:30:40.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>213</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>XPS600-LHS.mdrsesco.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Prime95.exe</Data>
        <Data>24.14.1.0</Data>
        <Data>42f8f6a5</Data>
        <Data>Prime95.exe</Data>
        <Data>24.14.1.0</Data>
        <Data>42f8f6a5</Data>
        <Data>c000001d</Data>
        <Data>00347ec4</Data>
        <Data>b2c</Data>
        <Data>01c78ea51f548aa7</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION!  Fun!

That's all I've got...  I can't leave Longhorn Server or Prime95 running for a long time on this machine (it's a laptop, for one, and I actually need to use it), so I can't replicate the error.  Have you tried redownloading Prime95 or using an older version (in case the file's bad)?

Or you could have actually hit a Virtual PC bug.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

I copied the PRIME95.EXE binary from Windows Vista RTM through the virtual network adapter to the Windows Codename Longhorn BETA via  Microsoft Virtual PC.  No actual network action was involved in that everything is running on a single machine.  That binary had been running without incident under Vista for many months.  Could be corruption during the virtual network transfer (unlikely with the CRC, but anything can happen).  I will try getting a fresh copy of the binary running to see what happens.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

Well, this failure is reliable.  It happens after several days running.  A highly compute-bound application running under Windows Codename "Longhorn" Server running under the latest Microsoft Virtual PC running under Microsoft Windows Vista RTM stops working.  A dialog box openz to inform the operator and suggests "a solution" may be available.  A big button labeled Close program is the ONLY choice.  The Event Log suggests an illegal instruction has been tried and found wanting.  So, is the bug in Virtual PC or does the problem lie elsewhere? Also, is there a better place to report what appears to be a solid, bona fide, REPRODUCEABLE, no argument BUG? 

SCREEN SHOT

See the dialog box and application that failed in the screen shot at the location above.

• User profile image
    earnshaw

If you will kindly navigate to http://www.mdrsesco.biz/fcf.bmp and inspect the screen shot there, you will see the program PRIME95.EXE (from the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search) faulted on what Visual Studio Whidby claims is an illegal instruction.  Whidby's debugger is running the program under Windows 2008 Server (Beta), which is running under Virtual PC 2007, which is running under Windows Vista RTM.  This happens with or without the debugger and always at the same instruction.  PRIME95.EXE does not exhibit this behavior under Windows Vista RTM (without virtualization).  What is going on here? I sent the info to the author of PRIME95.EXE.  He says:  "Ugh."  As stated before, this problem is infinitely repeatable (i.e. it can be demonstrated at will).  The registers snap indicates the memory operand should be addressable.  The instruction can be decoded by the debugger and should be decoded by the CPU.  By executing a Vulcan Mind Meld with my Dell XPS 600, I've concluded there is a problem with Virtual PC 2007.  That's my conclusion and I'm sticking with it until somebody proves different.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

earnshaw wrote:
    I've concluded there is a problem with Virtual PC 2007.  That's my conclusion and I'm sticking with it until somebody proves different. 

I tend to agree. In which case, you should try posting this in one of the MSDN forums, which is much more likely to have an MS rep lurking/participating.

BTW, does the VM have the appropriate "VPC additions"  installed ?

Have you tried VMWare Server 2005 (converting the VPC VHD  files etc) ?

PS: You might want to [download CPUz] to check wether the CPU supports Intel's Virtualisation Technology (VT). The Dell site simply says it's a Pentium 4 Extreme Ed. with HT. Since then, Intel has added model numbers, such as 840, so it's a PITA to work out what the equivalent model number is, now.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.