Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I've got about 48 hours

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I've got about 48 hours to learn as much as I can of C++. Books aren't gonna cut it...any recommendations?

• User profile image
    grout58

www.learnvisualstudio.net

• User profile image
    anand.t

best place to grab the basics
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

then probably skim through all those oops concepts online. The rest is up to your ability to code. 48 hours is more than enough to learn the syntax of any language IMHO. Coding efficienty is a different story though:)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

This site may help as well with a lot of the gotchas: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

• User profile image
    figuerres

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I've got about 48 hours to learn as much as I can of C++. Books aren't gonna cut it...any recommendations?

do you know C ??

why do you need to have the C++ info??

for example a test?
    to screen a new hire?
    to manage code (edit and review)?

or....

why -- different focus.

do you know OOP ? in any language
    say C# or  VB.Net  or SmallTalk or others ?

OOP basics are the same for all OOP

so whats the real goal / focus and you may be able to target some key areas and save some brain sweat.

• User profile image
    Minh

I gotta know... what for?

• User profile image
    defstream

If books aren't working then you havent read Jasma's C/C++ bible. The basics of C++ is only a small step in becoming a mediocre programming, diving deep into stl, atl, mfc & etc are needed in order to take the leap into average developer, and experience can only get you farther.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Jack Baeur could do it all in 24, so 48 should be OK.

My approach to these situations is getting a good syntax / Keyword sheet, familiarizing myself with the basics of the particular language.

Downloading some freeware app with source code and trying to extend some small piece of functionality.

That's my approach anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• User profile image
    Bas

I still have two very comprehensive "Learn C++" VHS videotapes lying around. Presented by a bearded guy in a woollen vest, it's all very 1990's. It's about 4 hours worth of material and a very, very good and in-depth primer of C++.

I could ship 'em to you... but not in 48 hours. Also, you may not have a PAL-compatible VCR. Then again, who even has a VCR anymore?

• User profile image
    Dodo

Bas wrote:

I still have two very comprehensive "Learn C++" VHS videotapes lying around. Presented by a bearded guy in a woollen vest, it's all very 1990's. It's about 4 hours worth of material and a very, very good and in-depth primer of C++.

I could ship 'em to you... but not in 48 hours. Also, you may not have a PAL-compatible VCR. Then again, who even has a VCR anymore?

great... this is really funny... then on the other hand why don't you just use some of those computers being able to handle the scart signal to digitalize it and email him? Expressionless

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.