Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why don't my DVD's play full size in WMP11 on XP?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Bas

This is driving me crazy:

(click for full screen)

Why doesn't WMP11 stretch the DVD video to the full size of the player? It remains at this sort of 80% size. I can't double-click to go full-screen, but I can do it with Alt+Enter. In full screen mode, it doesn't actually play full screen. It plays at the same size it does in windowed mode.

I have no idea what's causing this. On Vista, it's fine, both in WMP and Media Center. The DVD decoder I use on XP came with some installed Acer Arcade crapware, but in the Arcade player, it does play full screen.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

• User profile image
    John Galt

Because of a stupid bug in WMP that has been around for as long as WMP has been around that it won't resize the video the full size of the window even when it's set to scale the video to be the full size of the window unless you go to full screen or manually resize the window itself which causes a full rect redraw which causes it to resize properly....

You'd think that this would be fixed after 11 versions....

• User profile image
    Bas

John Galt wrote:

Because of a stupid bug in WMP that has been around for as long as WMP has been around that it won't resize the video the full size of the window even when it's set to scale the video to be the full size of the window unless you go to full screen or manually resize the window itself which causes a full rect redraw which causes it to resize properly...

That's not it. If I go to full screen, the video stays the same size. Same thing if I resize the window itself. Also, the scale to full size feature works perfectly with any other (non-DVD) video.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What MPEG-2 codec are you using? Do you have any problems watching DVDs in other applications?

• User profile image
    Bas

I have no idea. I installed this Arcade DVD player application that came with my Acer laptop just for the codec, but I have no idea which one it uses. How does one determine that?

Anyway, in the Acer Arcade DVD player, the videos scale just fine.

• User profile image
    Bas

Well, I installed Microsoft's Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility, and it tells me that the MPEG-2 decoder I have installed is a "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder" called "CLVSD.ax", version 5.0.0.2121. It's apparently MCE Compatible, but not MP10 Compatible.

An explanatory text at the bottom tells me that it is not compatible with the synchronization feature of WMP10.

Are there any MPEG-2 decoders out there that let you install a trial version? I mean, I don't mind shelling out $15 for a new decoder, but I want to make sure that it works, first.

• User profile image
    KentonF

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.  Mine has been doing the same thing now since I built the last 2 computers and I can't get it to stop.   It's really annoying that it won't play full size and mine looks exactly like yours.  It's 'full screen' but the picture is like 80% the size of the actual screen.

I can't figure it out either.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.