Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Outlook 2003 annoyance

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cheong

Today when I sending reply to my client, I find Outlook to be quite annoying in selecting correct code page.

The original message I received is partial GB2312, partial Big5 content as plain text. I have to change the encoding option to display it correct... no problem for this part.

When I reply, the client found they receive garbage code. No problem, I'll resend again.

This time I resend in HTML format. I tried to select to code page manually, just to make sure it works... but the only option I have is "auto-detect". Fine, I thought that's okay.

This time I found it sending the same garbage code in plain text again, not honoring my command for sending it in HTML. Tried different attempts including changing the "default method of sending email" to HTML but without success.

Finally, I create a new mail message and then "copy & paste" everything in. This time the correct font is displayed.

Anyone with Outlook in Office 2007 can verify whether it has been fixed or not? (The "mails received in plain text cannot reply as HTML" part)

P.S.: Keywords bolded for readability.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

Is this Outlook running against an exchange server?  That throws all sorts of issues in.

• User profile image
    cheong

Yes. It's connected to Exchange server.

Seriously it's something out of my expectation. When I command it to use HTML, it changes to HTML view. I doubt if I'll ever aware/bother to check "whether it'll really send my mail in HTML" if it send message in proper charset.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.