Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can Internet Explorer Mobile support Aspnet Ajax

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    milkcan

hi,

Hope some1 can advise whether IE mobile (for Window mobile V5.0) can support Aspnet Ajax controls.

Is there anyway using aspnet to detect if the connection is wifi or gprs connection ( WAP ) 

Thanks

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ASP.NET AJAX clients require two things to be supported, javascript support and if you want to use callbacks XMLHTTP, if your client has those, then it will be supported.

No idea if IE for mobile does. 

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I don't think you can detect connection type, but you can definitely detect whether or not it is a mobile browser.  I haven't used ASP.NET in ages, but checking the various strings passed in by the browser (I think user agent is the right one) should reveal the browser's name.

As to AJAX on mobile devices, good luck.  Practically all mobile browsers have crappy Javascript support, if at all.  WM5 PIE might support some of the necessary functions, but I wouldn't be surprised if some were missing.  Try it out and see.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Internet Explorer mobile hasn't changed much over the years. It supports no javascript, so AJAX is out of the question.

The only mobile browser I know of that AJAX works on is Opera.

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Sven Groot wrote:

Internet Explorer mobile hasn't changed much over the years. It supports no javascript, so AJAX is out of the question.

The only mobile browser I know of that AJAX works on is Opera.

I believe Safari/Webkit/S60 does as well.

• User profile image
    marteaga

Check out the IE Mobile team blog and this post http://blogs.msdn.com/iemobile/archive/2005/11/15/493200.aspx

Don't know if the controls are supported but you can do some 'ajax' functionality.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.