Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Desktop widget/Hover - enlarge/click-drag/Shell

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I'm creating myself a little widget for my desktop that contains

My Documents
    My Music
    My Movies
    My Downloads
    My Uploads
    My Multimedia
    Control Panle
    My Images

and I've got an icon for each. How can I create a ribbon sortof thing - when I hover it switches image. The aim is to create a cool looking app that pops up with all the doc folders.

And

How can I make the whole form click-dragable? (I've removed all the Me.text and ControlBox)

How can I make a system tray icon?

Whats the Shell .exe for My Documents etc.

Shell ("C:\Documents and Settings\[Current User ??]\....

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I know how I can complete most of it its just the little things I don't know. Books and all that can be helpful, but some just dont tell you the little things that matter.

I'm pretty new to all this, and I don't really know how to create a string of images, so when you click a button it changes. All the methods I've tried have failed, and Google produces no adiquate results. So I ask the people who know how: you lot.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    when I hover it switches image.

Capture the mouseover event and change the source of the image, then capture the mouseout event to restore the source to the original image.

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    How can I make the whole form click-dragable?

Create a global boolean variable like bIsMouseDown and set it to false.

Capture the mousedown event and set bIsMouseDown to true.
    Capture the mouseup event and set bIsMouseDown to false.
    Capture the mousemove event, check if bIsMouseDown = true and then change the coordinates of the form form.left, form.top according to the mousecursor's coordinate.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Thanks. When I first started programming I found there was rather a lack of decent idiot-proof guides to creating a program, so I've started one on my blog - Creating a Web Browser In VB. I'm currently editing it in word and theres a temp that i made on the actual site - I got bored of writing it in the smallest of screens that kept re-setting the scroll so ive switched to word - there'll be a massive increase of content soon.

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.