Tech Off Thread

5 posts

ACPI Bios error , Event ID 12

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Andy H

This is more a hardware than software related tech question but im interested to know if anyone has come across this.

Basically i have a server which is

Asus M2N Plus sli vista edition m/b
    AMD Athlon X2 4600+ CPU
    2GB ( 2 x 1 gb) of corsair xms2 cm2x1024 -6400 ddr2 ram
    Windows server 2003
    Western Digital 160gb HDD
    Symantec corp antivirus version 9

All works fine and ive not had any problems. So today i go to install another 2gb of the same ram as was in the machine and upon boot i noticed this in the event log :

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2664/image5zh2.jpg

Anyway i tried memtest 86 which checked out ok with no errors, and microsoft memory test , aside form complaining the system had more than 4gb of ram each test passed fine.

The 4gb of ram was recognized in bios and i was even able to boot into the server and in task manager the 4gb ram shows up fine. But im concerned at this event error. Is it likely to be faulty memory , or is this a problem with the bios ?

I flashed with the latest bios , even tried installing server 2003x64 OS on a seperate partition on the system. The error was there even after a fresh install.

Anyone seen this before ? im baffled

• User profile image
    MarkPerris

If this has only started happening after adding the new RAM, it's likely that, rather than there being a problem with the RAM itself, there is a problem with the way the ACPI system is working with it behind the scenes.
    I don't think it's much to worry about, I expect it will be solved in a future BIOS update. I get a tonne of these on my old SIS based P4, but i've never had a single bluescreen or freeze.

• User profile image
    Andy H

It is a relatively new board so hopefully it will be sorted in a future bios. I have contacted asus  just incase to see if they can help. I left memtest86 running overnight and there were no errors 8 hours later so i believe  the ram is good , just the acpi bios is throwing up this error. Oh well Perplexed

• User profile image
    cheong

Searching on the web and found someone worked around it by disabling "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" in the Device Manager. (Just disable it, don't uninstall) Try re-enable it when there's BIOS update later.

Hope that it works for you.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

cheong wrote:
    Searching on the web and found someone worked around it by disabling "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" in the Device Manager. (Just disable it, don't uninstall) Try re-enable it when there's BIOS update later.

Hope that it works for you.

I'd give that a try, but be aware that there's a good chance that disabling it will break things.  Specifically, it will most likely prevent you from putting the computer into standby or hibernation, and possibly even make it so that your computer will not power off on its own after you shut it down ("It is now safe to turn off your computer").

And be sure to back up important documents before you change anything...  you don't want to end up with an unbootable system.  Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.