Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Need desktop.ini file

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

I noticed my Music folder in Vista is not displaying the localized text anymore so I took a look at the desktop.ini file and it only contains the following text:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    FolderType=MusicAlbum
    MusicBuyUrl=superlongurlaboutasonginmylibrary

while other desktop.ini's from Videos, Documents have lot's more information in them.
    Could anyone post the folder.ini file from their Music folder of Vista?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Here's mine:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21790
    InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
    IconIndex=-237
    [LocalizedFileNames]
    Sample Music.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21806

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Thanks.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It happened again today. I don't know what's causing it. I don't have any 3th party applications running in the background.

Is there some setting I can activate to keep track which application is changing this file?

• User profile image
    keeron

ZippyV wrote:

It happened again today. I don't know what's causing it. I don't have any 3th party applications running in the background.

Is there some setting I can activate to keep track which application is changing this file?

Other than a custom dev solution, this could work (but you might need to keep this on for a little while for the "app" to do its work and modify the file)

Sysinternals Filemon:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx

(Use the filter option and just use the desktop.ini file)

• User profile image
    ZippyV

That didn't take long, after I played a game in full-screen mode I noticed my startmenu showed the non-localized Music folder again and Process Monitor caught it:

711265 23:06:06,7366188 Explorer.EXE 360 CreateFile C:\Users\ZippyV\Music\desktop.ini SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Sequential Access, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    711266 23:06:06,7366557 Explorer.EXE 360 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\Users\ZippyV\Music\desktop.ini SUCCESS AllocationSize: 4.096, EndOfFile: 400, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    711267 23:06:06,7366708 Explorer.EXE 360 ReadFile C:\Users\ZippyV\Music\desktop.ini SUCCESS Offset: 0, Length: 400, Priority: Normal
    711268 23:06:06,7367432 Explorer.EXE 360 CloseFile C:\Users\ZippyV\Music\desktop.ini SUCCESS 

The MusicBuyUrl in the ini file shows a link from an album that I just downloaded to my Music folder. But the change in the ini-file only happened after I closed the game.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

That isn't it. Explorer is only reading the file (you can see it's only requesting generic read access, and only calling ReadFile after that).

I wouldn't be surprised if WMP was doing this.

• User profile image
    theHAMIN

ZippyV said:

This happens to me whenever I 'Update Album Info' or 'Find Album info'. Downloading music probably causes the Music icon to change, as it also updates the Album cover (the same process as above, basically). So, I do believe it is Windows Media Player doing this. I hope you find this helpful if you've still had this problem since 2 years ago Tongue Out

I wish I could recieve and email if anyone replies, as I never go on here Big Smile

• User profile image
    ZippyV

theHAMIN said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

This happens to me whenever I 'Update Album Info' or 'Find Album info'. Downloading music probably causes the Music icon to change, as it also updates the Album cover (the same process as above, basically). So, I do believe it is Windows Media Player doing this. I hope you find this helpful if you've still had this problem since 2 years ago Tongue Out

I wish I could recieve and email if anyone replies, as I never go on here Big Smile

It's indeed WMP that causes this. I've bugged it so many times during the Vista beta but it never got solved.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV said:
    theHAMIN said:
    *snip*

It's indeed WMP that causes this. I've bugged it so many times during the Vista beta but it never got solved.

Just mark your desktop.ini file as read-only and/or change the NTFS permissions on it.

Question: why are we using desktop.ini files? They clutter up the filesystem and sometimes break, as this thread demonstrates. Why aren't they using some other means of storing this metadata like alternative file streams?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

Just mark your desktop.ini file as read-only and/or change the NTFS permissions on it.

Question: why are we using desktop.ini files? They clutter up the filesystem and sometimes break, as this thread demonstrates. Why aren't they using some other means of storing this metadata like alternative file streams?

Because it also has to work if those folders are redirected to a FAT32 drive or a network share that doesn't support those features.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.