Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Quick Launch Bar Replacement

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    quantass

Im looking for a Quick Launch replacement app that can upgrade it to support menus.  For example, i have several Applications that i wouldnt mind loading and a My Computers location i want to jump to.

I am currently using Free Launch Bar under XP 32bit but unfortunately it doesnt work for Win XP 64-bit.  Is there something similar for my new OS?

Thanks

• User profile image
    ricky_doc

Try Launchy

http://www.launchy.net/

I made it scan my recent document folder so I can also get to my frequently visited locations by typing the beginning of theier names...

-Rick-

• User profile image
    Rocky Moore

Why not use the built in bars?  XP allows you to have multiple launch bars.  While I am using Vista 64, it is basically the same for launch bars.  I have one for my most used applications, then I have one for my dev utilities and then one for misc apps and finally one for my frequently used folders.  Although, the one for the folders is now losing its appeal since Vista has a built in favorite links pane in the file explorer.

For example, on my systems, the first thing I do is change my start bar to be auto-hide and cram it to the left side of the screen and expand its width to about 1/4 the screen width.  Next, i add the toolbars and select small icons display without text.

For my application toolbars, I expand them just large enough that I can see all the icons in the group.  For others, such as favorite locations I shrink them up to that only the title for that bar is shown which forces the folders into a popup menu.

For my utilities toolbar that has tons of differnt files, I use nested folders to group them.  When I shrink that toolbar, it shows it as a popup menu with the nested folders as submenus.

It works well, I only have to move my mouse to the far left side of the monitor to launch just about any program I use or to open folders I frequently use, and it is out of the way when I do not need it.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Rocky Moore wrote:
    For my utilities toolbar that has tons of differnt files, I use nested folders to group them.  When I shrink that toolbar, it shows it as a popup menu with the nested folders as submenus.

I do this too.

• User profile image
    quantass

Thanks a lot guys for the solution.  However Free Launch Bar for my 32-bit XP is a much more elegant and easier approach then to use Windows' ill-thought out approach.  I was hoping for an equally elegant and free solution for my XP 64 bit box.  All im really after is menus within my quick launch bar so that i can group several items and have quick access to them, from folder locations to applications.  The root menu alone has over 40 items listed, and yes it is very useful.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.