Tech Off Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Version control documentation

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Larsenal

We have a small team of 3 working on this project.  We're getting to the point where we need to keep better track of who changed what and when.

We also need to track tweaks for specific clients.

We're all for something simple.  Any recommendations?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Larsenal wrote:
    We have a small team of 3 working on this project.  We're getting to the point where we need to keep better track of who changed what and when.

Simple? Sourcesafe; heh.
    Free: Subversion, with Tortoise or Ankh
    Paid for: Vault

• User profile image
    Larsenal

blowdart wrote:

Larsenal wrote:

Simple? Sourcesafe; heh.

I should have been more specific.  At this point we don't intend to have full version control in terms of source code management.  We simply want to keep track of bug fixes, improvements and modifications. 

All we want is something maybe a little more structured than this: http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

How about Bugzilla?

• User profile image
    glebd

Larsenal wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Larsenal wrote:

Simple? Sourcesafe; heh.

I should have been more specific.  At this point we don't intend to have full version control in terms of source code management.  We simply want to keep track of bug fixes, improvements and modifications.

So you want to do things a version control software normally does, like keeping history of source modifications and tracking tweaks for clients (in other words, branching), only by hand? Why would you want to do that? Use Subversion, it'll save you lots of grief in the long run. Do not use SourceSafe, it's not a real source code control system and is worse than doing this by hand (IMHO).

• User profile image
    blowdart

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    How about Bugzilla?

Having used it on the last project, where it wasn't customised at all; it sucked. Really. Bad UI, bad reports, bad everything really, excepting routing of jobs

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

blowdart wrote:

andy_hanger18 wrote:
    How about Bugzilla?

Having used it on the last project, where it wasn't customised at all; it sucked. Really. Bad UI, bad reports, bad everything really, excepting routing of jobs

I agree with you, its not the best looking of applications but I was thinking that for a small team its quite useable and maybe more importantly, its free. We've used it at work for a couple of years and it does the job.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

glebd wrote:

Larsenal wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Larsenal wrote:

Simple? Sourcesafe; heh.

So you want to do things a version control software normally does, like keeping history of source modifications and tracking tweaks for clients (in other words, branching), only by hand? Why would you want to do that? Use Subversion, it'll save you lots of grief in the long run. Do not use SourceSafe, it's not a real source code control system and is worse than doing this by hand (IMHO).

Subversion isn't a panacea, either.  VSS works just fine for a small team, it's free with visual studio, and you won't spend extra time having to figure out why subversion 'just won't commit'. 

It's like a freaking bachelor sometimes.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

glebd wrote:

Why would I want to do it by hand?  Our project is still fairly small, and we don't need a full source code control system.  We already have a good ("if it's not broke...") system for archiving source code.  We just don't have a nice place to go back to see, "Added feature X, fixed bug Y on 11/16/2006" or "Added interface for external application Z for client W." If subversion could be used only in that capacity and would later allow us to adopt functionality as needed, then we would consider it.  However, we're leary of the friction that might be created if we try to use a full-fledged source control system to perform something very simple.

Perhaps a shared spreadsheet is the simplest solution for the timebeing.

• User profile image
    Soviut

Doesn't Tortoise SVN have a comment field you can fill in that lets you put those types of comments?  I'm sure those can be quieried when you list file history?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Soviut wrote:
    Doesn't Tortoise SVN have a comment field you can fill in that lets you put those types of comments?
    yes, when you commit, or there is other comment field i don't know about? In any moment of time you could select a file and do a Show log to see all those comments.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Ion Todirel wrote:

Soviut wrote:
    Doesn't Tortoise SVN have a comment field you can fill in that lets you put those types of comments?
    yes, when you commit, or there is other comment field i don't know about? In any moment of time you could select a file and do a Show log to see all those comments.

Not to be a broken record, but you have the same ability in VSS.

Of course, you'll have to convince people to comment when they check in...

• User profile image
    andy_hanger​18

On a personal note, I was gonna try VSS but read somewhere that only one person can edit a source file at a time. Is that true? CVS, for example, lets more than one person edit a file and it merges the changes (as long as different lines have been edited)

• User profile image
    staceyw

ScanIAm wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

Soviut wrote:

Not to be a broken record, but you have the same ability in VSS.

Of course, you'll have to convince people to comment when they check in...

JMO, but I would run from VSS.  If at all possible, use VTS.  It is great and your team will use and love the features - even on a small team.  Don't go cheap on your source control (you still want sc even for bug fixes after all).

• User profile image
    glebd

ScanIAm wrote:
    VSS works just fine for a small team

I hear this a lot. No it does not, and it has nothing to do with the size of a team. VSS is completely broken, its integration with IDE is broken too and worst of all, it teaches you all the wrong ways of working with a source control system. If a person who doesn't know what a SCM is starts off using VSS, she is worse off than learning a proper system from scratch.

Subversion is not panacea, it's true, there is Perforce which is very good, IIRC Microsoft used to use its fork called SourceVault internally (not VSS obviously), now presumably switched to TFS which I hear repeats VSS mistakes (the "destroy" command―people, an SCM is supposed to _keep_ the source and allow you to rebuild it going back in time, not destroy it!) There are also distributed SCMs like git and mercurial. And there are heavyweights like ClearCase if you have tons of money and dedicated support staff. These all are proper SCMs.

Search Google (or Live, for that matter) for "SourceSafe bugs" and you'll see what I mean.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.