Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Tier Splitting C# Class Screencast

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Andrew Davey

I just uploaded a new screencast demonstrating my C# tier splitting tool.
    Check it out here: http://www.aboutcode.net/2007/08/25/Tier+Splitting+C+Screencast.aspx

I don't mean this to be spam, I really want to get some feedback from developers and start a discussion around the topic.
    Cheers!

• littleguru

Nice webcast! Smiley

• Andrew Davey

I'd love for Channel 9 to offer a way to upload and host screencasts/video from niners.

• littleguru

Andrew Davey wrote:
    I'd love for Channel 9 to offer a way to upload and host screencasts/video from niners.

Let's see what happens with the next version Smiley Have you tried to ask Charles if they upload if for you?

• littleguru

evildictaitor wrote:
    What is tier splitting?

Moving some stuff from the client to the server etc.

• Andrew Davey

evildictaitor wrote:
    What is tier splitting?

By "tier" I mean a place where code runs. For example, the client tier, the web app server tier, etc.

So tier splitting is about taking a class and making certain parts of it run in different tiers. For example, I want the "Save" method of my business object to run on the server where it can access the database. However, the rest of the time it needs to be usable by the client tier to do business logic, validation, etc.

• Andrew Davey

If I get the time free, I'll record some more screencasts showing what else can be done with my macro expansion tool.

For example:

• Data access layer generation
    • Automatic interface implementation (e.g. INotifyPropertyChanged)
    • Mixins
  • littleguru

Andrew Davey wrote:
    If I get the time free, I'll record some more screencasts showing what else can be done with my macro expansion tool.

For example:

• Data access layer generation
    • Automatic interface implementation (e.g. INotifyPropertyChanged)
    • Mixins

Is the tool available from somewhere?

• Andrew Davey

littleguru wrote:

Not yet. It is still very alpha. I basically want to gauge peoples' interest. In the past I've spent a lot of time setting up open source projects only to get hardly any use or feedback. In addition, I am self employed, so just giving away a potentially very valuable tool may not be a great use of my dev time.

Perhaps a business model to consider is making the macro expander free and open, then selling actual macros that do stuff. This way 3rd parties can write their own macros as well.

• littleguru

Andrew Davey wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Not yet. It is still very alpha. I basically want to gauge peoples' interest. In the past I've spent a lot of time setting up open source projects only to get hardly any use or feedback. In addition, I am self employed, so just giving away a potentially very valuable tool may not be a great use of my dev time.

Perhaps a business model to consider is making the macro expander free and open, then selling actual macros that do stuff. This way 3rd parties can write their own macros as well.

Yay! I would love to have a look at your generator. Must be a nice thing Smiley

• Andrew Davey

littleguru wrote:

Yay! I would love to have a look at your generator. Must be a nice thing Smiley

LOL well actually the code looks totally awful at the moment. This is mostly due to the fact that writing C# code from C# is not that easy using the CSParser. The API is a bit inconsistent. It's very tempting to write a better abstraction over the top to simplify things.

At the moment it's like building an XML document using the procedural DOM, rather than XLINQ's new expression building model. Basically yuck! Smiley

I'm sure given some hardcore refactoring I can sort things out.

• Charles

I think I like this model. Show us what you got, then we decide if it makes the bar for publishing on Channel 9 (at least for now, when we can't open the channell as widely as I'd like due to scaling/file hosting reasons...).

That said, Andrew, send me a note in email describing what you plan on submitting and we'll take it from there.

This is cool!
    C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.